- Reports to: Conservation Director
- Basis: Full time
- Location: Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Katoomba area. Other locations within easy travel of these locations will be considered.
- Duration: Two-year contract, extension possible
- Salary range: $80,000-92,000 plus super, depending on skills and experience
Join a dynamic team with a successful track record in achieving change to address one of the leading threats facing Australia’s wildlife.
About the Conservation Team
Invasive species are one of the biggest threats facing Australia’s native biodiversity. Unless we take action, work with others and speak out, Australia’s biodiversity crisis will only worsen. The Invasive Species Council conservation team aims to tackle some of our most challenging invasive species threats and drive systemic reform to Australia’s biosecurity system and environmental laws.
- Promote the work, positions and strategic directions of the Invasive Species Council.
- Develop and execute advocacy and outreach strategies in collaboration with staff and key stakeholders.
- Lead selected priority advocacy campaigns, including feral horses in Kosciuszko National Park and feral deer in NSW, as determined from time to time.
- Deploy communications and engagement strategies using various mediums, including traditional and social media, events and forums.
- Establish mechanisms for the community to contribute to campaign outcomes.
- Engage with and advocate directly to decision makers and key stakeholders.
- Maintain the organisation’s emphasis on credible science-based information.
- Develop and maintain networks and relationships with people and organisations that align with campaign and organisational objectives.
- Collaborate with colleagues to assist with fundraising efforts.
- Prepare progress and performance reports.
- Proactively contribute to a positive and values driven culture with the team and organisation.
- Supervision of volunteers or management of team members may become part of the role at a future point.
- Other duties determined by the Conservation Director from time to time.
Key Selection Criteria
- Experience building coalitions across diverse sectors/interest groups to develop and promote shared objectives.
- Experience designing and delivering successful advocacy campaigns, outreach or communication programs.
- Capacity to understand and communicate with law and policy-makers, scientists, journalists and the public about invasive species threats.
- Demonstrated project development, campaign planning and project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and autonomously as part of a geographically dispersed team to develop and deliver shared projects.
- Willingness to travel intrastate and interstate, often for several days at a time.
- Detailed understanding of invasive species and biosecurity issues and related state and federal laws and policies.
- Extensive networks in the agriculture, environmental and/or natural resource management sectors.
- Experience working with an environmental NGO.
- Fundraising experience.
- Experience in supervision or management of volunteers or staff.
Location: Location in the vicinity of Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne or Katoomba. Other locations within easy travel to these cities will be considered. The Invasive Species Council supports decentralised working arrangements.
About the Invasive Species Council
The Invasive Species Council is a non-government donor-funded organisation that seeks to protect the Australian environment from weeds, feral animals, insects, pathogens and other invaders. Formed in 2002, we were the first environment group in the world to focus solely on invasive species.
Our primary objective is to achieve improvements to state and federal laws, institutions and practices to systematically lower the risk of invasive species establishing, spreading and causing impacts in Australia.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact email@example.com using the subject line: Conservation Campaigner - Flexible Location enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.