This is an exciting opportunity for a talented digital marketing manager with 5-7 years plus experience in a senior digital marketing role to help support the growth of a dynamic national environmental organisation tackling one of the greatest threats to biodiversity – invasive species.
- Reports to: Director of Marketing and Development
- Reports: Senior Communications Officer, Marketing Officer, Designer
- Basis: Full time or part time (4-5 days per week) depending on experience
- Location: Remote home or shared office. Applicants close to Canberra/Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane/Katoomba are encouraged to apply.
- Duration: Three-year contract, extension possible
- Salary range: $90,000-$110,000 pro rata plus super, depending on skills and experience
The Invasive Species Council is going through a period of major growth. A new Marketing Team is being formed, including a Digital Marketing Team. The Communications Manager is a key position to oversee the rapid expansion of the organisation’s communications capability.
The Communications Manager role leads the digital and strategic communications program at the Invasive Species Council. Key responsibilities for this role are to implement the digital and strategic communication elements of the Marketing Strategy to achieve growth targets and deliver marketing campaigns that help ISC generate action and build a movement of Australians to protect biodiversity from the growing threat of invasive species.
Managing a small team, you will apply your strategic, creative, technical and management skills to developing strategy and working ‘on the tools’. You will utilise cutting edge digital and strategic communication approaches to improve the performance of marketing activities to help achieve Invasive Species Council’s mission. Your track record of designing and running successful campaigns includes growing income and donors, reach, influence and impact, thereby furthering our mission.
Having a minimum of 7 years of marketing (including fundraising) under your belt, 5 of which have been in a senior digital marketing role, you will have a strong website management, media and digital content development and digital fundraising background. Your direct reports include the Senior Communication Officer, Marketing Officer and Designer (0.2 FTE) and you will be responsible for mentoring key staff in fundraising and campaign roles.
This is an exciting opportunity for a driven and passionate environmentalist to join Australia’s leading advocacy organisation tackling invasive species at a very exciting time. The Invasive Species Council is about to embark on a ten-year journey of growth as we make the 2020s the ‘decade of biosecurity’.
- Develop and implement the digital marketing and strategic communications component of the ambitious three-year Marketing Strategy.
- Develop and execute multi-channel strategic communication and engagement initiatives to build supporters, donors, brand and issue awareness.
- Manage digital marketing assets including three websites and social media channels, overseeing daily administration and ensuring their optimal performance.
- Support the Conservation Director and Marketing and Development Director to investigate and employ best practice digital mechanisms for the community to contribute to advocacy outcomes and provide funding, including lead generation.
- Build a network of allies, partners and collaborators to assist in building the awareness of the issue and the Invasive Species Council campaigns to advance our mission.
- Draft and develop written, digital, video, audio and print content materials for both online and print publications and brief, coach and review work from other members of the team to develop the same. This includes media releases and rapid response communications when required.
- Design the testing approach for digital campaigns that allows rapid experimentation, learning and refinement and set up general performance tracking and incorporate it into the day-to-day activities of team members.
- Prepare insightful analysis, recommendations and performance reports.
- Create and use budget and forecasting tools that illustrate costs, expenditure, ROI and Key Performance Indicators for all digital growth efforts (fundraising, supporter growth, web traffic). Administer budget for digital program.
- Inspire and lead the Digital Marketing Team and, with assistance from HR staff, manage all staff related activities such as recruitment and selection, work plans and performance management, ensuring team members meet and exceed agreed objectives and targets by providing support, direction, coaching and feedback.
- Proactively contribute to the culture at ISC: a positive, fun, and value-driven culture within the team and ISC.
- Develop processes and procedures for the marketing team.
- Other duties as determined by the Director of Marketing from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Strategic Communications or Marketing or an equivalent.
- Expert knowledge and practical understanding of how to strategically grow income, support and brand/issue awareness (i.e. expertise in lead generation & conversion).
- Demonstrated expertise to connect individual marketing and communications activities or products to higher-level strategies and goals, through a strategic frame.
- Demonstrated expertise in messaging, copy writing and managing a team to produce story-driven content about complex issues and political engagement in a way that engages a diverse group of target audiences and enhances the organisations image.
- Demonstrated expertise in producing a range of content (inc. writing) for impact and increasing engagement and conversion, building the brand, supporter, donor and income growth as well as fundraising income growth.
- Extensive experience executing campaigns/lead generation/fundraising across CPC platforms, landing page optimisation and A/B split testing campaigns to increase conversion.
- Extensive experience in analytics and ability to drive insight from data across a multi-channel campaign and providing performance reports.
- Extensive experience in the strategic uses and administration of popular social media channels (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and their role in the supporter/donor journey to help drive fundraising success.
- Experience in the traditional media landscape, understanding of channels, relative strengths and weaknesses and differences between channels.
- Sensitivity to diverse audiences of varying political stripes and demonstrated sound judgement about messaging.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure with diverse, dispersed teams and manage production schedules to develop and deliver shared projects.
- Demonstrated project development, campaign planning and management skills.
- Willingness to be a team player who is always endeavouring to be a positive force within an inclusive workplace environment and takes the initiative going above and beyond to get the job done.
- Detailed understanding of environment, agricultural and/or biosecurity issues and experience working for an advocacy organisation.
- Passionate about growing and strengthening a movement of people to protect biodiversity by tacking invasive species.
Remote home or shared office. Applicants close to Canberra/Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane/Katoomba are encouraged to apply. The Invasive Species Council supports decentralised working arrangements.
About the Invasive Species Council
The Invasive Species Council is a non-government donor-funded organisation that seeks better laws and policies to protect the Australian environment from weeds, feral animals, insects, pathogens and other invaders. Invasive species have been the main driver of environmental loss of Australia’s native animals since colonisation and remain one of the main threats to the future survival of all our unique wildlife on land and sea.
Formed in 2002, the Invasive Species Council is Australia’s only environmental organisation dedicated to strategically tackling this issue and has made numerous interventions that have reduced the environmental impacts from invasive species.
Over recent years we:
- Played a major role in ensuring the establishment the national office of environmental biosecurity,
- Secured $411 million over ten years to eradicate red fire ants from south east Queensland,
- Co-hosted the inaugural 2019 Australian Biosecurity Symposium,
- Jointly conducted ground-breaking research to identify harmful invasive insects that could establish in Australia,
- Led efforts to recognise the national threat from expanding populations of feral deer,
- Driven the Reclaim Kosci campaign that seeks to reverse the protection of feral horses in Kosciuszko National Park.
During the current period of growth we are reviewing our strategic direction. Our 2018-2022 Strategic Plan and other background information can be found on our website: invasives.org.au.
Contact the Marketing and Development Director, Amber Sprunt on 0437 388 895 or CEO Andrew Cox on 0438 588 040 for any further information.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Communications Manager - Flexible Location enquiry via EthicalJobs.
Should the right candidate apply for this role before the closing date we will make a decision before the deadline.