This position is funded by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet until December 2022. The project's aim is to improve school participation and retention for ATSI students, developing and strengthening community relationships by engaging indigenous families located in the Southern Suburbs of Adelaide in educational and support programs.
- Supporting role in non-government community services sector
- Opportunity to be part of dynamic ATSI community program team
- Support the coordination of ATSI programs within the Centre
- Part time position - 15 hrs per week until Dec 2022
- Open only to persons who are Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
The primary accountabilities of the Position are as follows:
- Consulting with community around issues impacting education and community engagement and provide feedback to Program Coordinator and HWCC Senior Manager
- Facilitate discussions with caregivers on being the ‘first educators’ of their children
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategies that contribute to the social wellbeing and educational needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- Provide advocacy, support and leadership for parents
- Develop a positive working relationship with the Aboriginal Community Education Officers – (ACEO’s)
- Represent HWCC ATSI program by contributing and supporting cultural community events when required
- A demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Indigenous societies and cultures and an understanding of the issues affecting Indigenous people in contemporary Australian society and the diversity of circumstances of Indigenous people.
- Experience in developing and maintaining positive relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families using a community development framework
- Demonstrated ability to work with disadvantaged communities
- Demonstrated experience working in a Child Safe Environment
- Completed or currently completing qualifications and training in Aboriginal Studies, Social Work or a related discipline will be highly regarded.
- Sound understanding of the principles of community development
Please email Seniormanager@hwcc.net.au, using the subject line: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Senior Worker enquiry via EthicalJobs, to obtain a copy of the Position Description or to enquire about the position.