The Health Services Union NSW/ACT/QLD is a growing 45,000-member strong union that aims to use its collective power to build a fair and just society through improving conditions for our members in the health and aged care industry. The organisation’s annual turnover is approximately $24m, with an employee base of approximately 120 staff.
Our union is focused on growth and draws its strength from the diversity of our membership.
We are currently looking for a highly skilled permanent full time Industrial Officer to join our team. The successful applicant will have a minimum 3-year work experience in a related field.
The Industrial Officer conducts advocacy in conciliation and arbitration arenas; provides advice in industrial matters; case manages industrial disputes; and manages industrial campaigns and enterprise bargaining agreements for wages and conditions of members.
The position entails:
- Co-ordinating dispute settlement procedures on more complex issues at the local level in consultation with subbranches, organisers, or individual members as required.
- Prepare and present matters in tribunals. Prepare matters and assist senior staff or legal counsel in complex matters before tribunals or courts.
- Provide sound advice and support on industrial matters. This will include matters allocated by the Manager Industrial Division, and those referred from organisers, sub branches, and from the Member Service Division.
- Take individual responsibility for cases requiring on-going support, including handling matters in a timely way and keeping full records.
- Mentor other industrial staff and member services division staff on industrial processes, advocacy and negotiation, dispute resolution techniques and project/portfolio areas.
Essential Experience and Qualifications
- Expertise in advocacy in order to prepare, present and argue industrial issues, including in relevant tribunals and Fair Work Commission, and to support legal counsel as required.
- Capacity to provide timely and sound advice and feedback to sub branches, organisers, and members on more complex industrial relations issues, union campaigns and policies.
- Specialised negotiation skills in bargaining.
- Good communication skills, including oral skills, to build effective relationships with sub branches, organisers, delegates
- Accountability for individual outcomes, including timeliness; organisational, recording and report-writing skills; follow-up and report back skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team - including flexibility to take on other duties and responsibilities as required; share information; mentor other staff; and commit to upgrading own work-related skills.
- Commitment to trade union principles
- Relevant Legal qualifications
Salary ranges between $111, 041 and $130,754 will be offered based on skills and experience.
For further information about the role please contact: Deputy Industrial Division Manager, Brendan Edghill via email email@example.com using the subject line: Experienced Industrial Officer enquiry via EthicalJobs.