The Human Rights Law Centre, a leading national human rights organisation, seeks a Media and Communications Manager. This is a full-time ongoing position based in Melbourne.
About the Human Rights Law Centre
The Human Rights Law Centre uses strategic legal action, policy solutions and advocacy to support people and communities to eliminate inequality and injustice and build a fairer, more compassionate Australia.
Our vision is an Australia where everyone is free to lead a decent, dignified life; where our laws, policies and institutions promote fairness and equality; and where people and communities have the power to address inequality and injustice and ensure that governments always act in the public interest.
The Human Rights Law Centre is a registered charity with offices in Melbourne and Sydney. We are a diverse team with a strong, shared commitment to creating a better, fairer Australia.
We know our team and our work is stronger with a diversity of backgrounds and experience, including lived experience of the issues we work on. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people of colour, people from culturally and linguistically diverse and refugee backgrounds, people with diverse religious beliefs, women, LGBTIQ+ people and people with disability are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the role
This is an exciting new role which will play a key part working within the Public Engagement team to achieve the Human Rights Law Centre’s strategic goals.
Reporting to the Public Engagement Director:
- Write, review and pitch high quality media content across the Human Rights Law Centre’s Impact Areas such as media releases, opinion pieces, key messages, statements, web and social media content for traditional and digital media;
- Provide media advice and communications support across the Human Rights Law Centre’s Impact areas;
- Distribute media releases and publish media releases through digital channels;
- Monitor the latest news on traditional and social media channels and recommend appropriate courses of action;
- Develop and maintain relationships with key media stakeholders;
- Organise press conferences and media events;
- Develop and execute a strategy to maintain and grow the Human Rights Law Centre’s impact through media and social media, as part of the broader Public Engagement strategy;
- Within available resources, evaluate and report on the Human Rights Law Centre’s media coverage;
- Work as part of the Public Engagement team, contribute to public engagement research, planning, strategy and evaluation;
- Help ensure that Human Rights Law Centre spokespeople are appropriately trained and prepared for media work;
- Assist with the production of various other communications materials, such as reports;
- Assist with the supervision of staff and volunteers;
- Contribute to a strong team culture of impact, innovation, integrity, reflection, cohesiveness, communication, shared purpose and collaboration at the Human Rights Law Centre.
Terms and conditions
- The salary will be up to $96,684 per annum plus 9.5% superannuation depending on qualifications, experience and other relevant considerations.
- The position is full-time and ongoing.
- The Human Rights Law Centre has charity tax status enabling us to offer staff generous salary packaging options including meals and entertainment packaging. The tax savings for staff who take full advantage of salary packaging options significantly increases their take home pay.
- The Human Rights Law Centre offers flexible working arrangements, 5 weeks annual leave, opportunities for professional development, and a workplace culture that is professional, dedicated, collaborative and dynamic.
- The position will involve some domestic travel and occasional work outside normal business hours.
- While COVID-19 restrictions are in place, this role will work remotely.
Further information and how to apply
For more information including key selection criteria and how to apply, download the attached Recruitment Pack.
For further information about the Human Rights Law Centre, see www.hrlc.org.au.