This is a graduate or intern position and we can offer Board Approved Psychological Supervision (for psychologists only) and training and skill building for other graduates – such as Art Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists or Mental Health nurses.
Guidestar focuses on providing support and professional services to individuals across the lifespan with multiple and complex needs.
As part of our person-centered approach, services are provided both from our Alphington Head Office and within the individuals' environment/s therefore travel around Melbourne, Geelong and, occasionally, regional Victoria is expected for clinicians.
Our work is informed by human rights-based principles including participation, accountability, non-discrimination, empowerment and the practice of human rights standards. We require all employees to perform in a way that is in line with these principles and our organisational values. We celebrate difference and welcome people of all cultural backgrounds, faiths, genders, sexualities and abilities.
About the position
The purpose of this position is to form an alliance with our clients and their families, to develop Functional Behaviour Assessments and Behaviour Support Plans and oversee the use and reduction of restrictive interventions with clients in the community who present with complex needs. Tasks will include report writing and treatment plan development, as well as face to face work with clients. This includes establishing goals that target their assessed needs, then providing guidance, intervention and support to the client in their pursuit and achievement of these goals.
This role may over time be modified and amended to ensure it is meeting business needs.
Key Selection criteria
Experience & Knowledge
- Strong report writing skills that match the intended audience.
- Demonstrated knowledge, experience and understanding of the support needs of people with disability across home and community settings
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to work and communicate effectively with participants, their families, community agencies and other professionals
- Focused on supporting someone to increase their quality of life through self-determination and person-centred thinking
- Able to adapt to changing needs and prioritise tasks in an efficient manner
- Ability to work independently and collaborate in a team
- Ability to provide support to clients with high and complex needs (including the experience of mental ill health and trauma).
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to provide clinical advice and consultancy services and produce high quality written reports.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the Disability Act 2006, and NDIS
- Understanding of individual clients’ cultural and diversity requirements including Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander people (ABTSI); Cultural and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) clients; and Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Intersex (GLBTI+) clients.
Candidates who do not meet this criteria but can demonstrate similar appropriate experience and values may be considered.
- Minimum tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline (Social Work, Psychology, Occupational Therapy, Disability).
- Registered psychologist, occupational therapist, speech pathologist, social worker or other allied health practitioner or a developmental educator (with current membership with Developmental Educators Australia Inc) with experience supporting people with a disability who may display behaviours that challenge others.
- Current and full registration with AHPRA or other professional body (as appropriate).
- Consent to undertake employee checks processes.
- Current registration with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency or other relevant body.
- Working with Children Check.
- Cleared NDIS Worker Screening Check.
- A current Driver’s License.
- International Police Check (where applicable) - if individual has a period of residence of 12 months or more in an overseas country during the last 10 years.
- Right to Work in Australia.
Guidestar is an EEO Employer
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and those who speak languages other than English are encouraged to apply
A position description is attached.