- Direct reports: Temporary staff and consultants as required
- Reports to: Director, Advocacy
- FTE: Full time (1.0) or part time considered
- Location: Melbourne - other locations and virtual/hybrid work arrangements will be considered
- Salary range: $75,000 - $84,499 excluding super
This is a permanent role at FYA, with the successful candidate participating in the Democracy in Colour’s People of Colour (POC) Placement Program – a 10 month on-the-job training program for emerging campaigners of colour. This program is about finding emerging campaigners of colour, supporting their talent, and pushing organisations to centre their voices for real, lasting change. The program places emerging leaders in paid traineeships in advocacy NGOs alongside a training and mentoring program run by Democracy in Colour. As part of the program, you will work 4 days per week within the Nature Conservation Council’s Communications and Campaigns Teams, and on average 1 day per week participating in training and professional development as part of the POC Placement Program.
Today’s generation of young Australians are facing unprecedented and intersecting crises. They also have the skills, insight and ambition to address them. At the Foundation for Young Australians, our vision is that young people have the power to beat injustice and transform the future. In pursuit of this vision, our purpose is to back young people with the trust, resources, skills, and connections to make change.
FYA has a new theory of change, dynamic team and board, and a unique resource base. We are now shaping a future-focused organisation committed to the highest standards of professionalism, culture and conditions, diversity, and impact -- all centred around our key constituents: young people.
We are seeking an Advocacy & Campaigns Coordinator to join FYA to assist our team to:
- Grow digital engagement with a broad community of young people passionate about social change, especially young people facing injustice and structural disadvantage.
- Develop digital engagement plans with youth-led groups to strengthen or scale their impact, including expertise in story-based messaging, online actions (e.g. social sharing asks, petitions, surveys, contact your decision-maker forms) and social media engagement with young people.
- Collect regular data and analytics and evaluate metrics across FYA platforms and work with FYA’s Partnerships and Comms staff to trial new approaches to connect with more supporters (e.g. identify best platforms / messages / times to post), make connections with young people with lived experience of campaign issues (e.g. through targeted advertising), and improve our advocacy (e.g. A/B message testing).
- Build relationships with young activists leading and organising on-the-ground and digital campaign activities.
- Assist young changemakers who want to build their digital campaigning skills, in partnership with our Capacity Building and Strategic Project teams (e.g. developing digital campaigning resources, ongoing partnerships and group training).
Who we’re looking for
- You have 2+ years experience and are highly skilled in social change focused digital campaigning, particularly setting up online actions, analysing digital metrics (e.g. google analytics, tracking engagement rates) and creating viral content across different social media platforms.
- You can build and maintain strong relationships with youth-led campaigning organisations.
- You have demonstrated experience in implementing digital engagement strategies and building online support with young people.
- You know how to support and share actions from lived experience campaigns as an ally (e.g. showing solidarity with racial justice campaigning organisations, and creating accessible content for people with disability).
- You are passionate about social change demonstrated through professional or voluntary involvement with non-profit causes.
- You know how to use key workplace tools such as Google apps, Slack etc.
- A valid Working with Children Check, or the ability to obtain one, is a requirement of this position.
- Applicants for this role must have a valid, legal right to work in Australia.
How to Apply
Lodge your application in the ‘work with us’ section of our website by clicking Apply Now.
Applications should include a detailed resume (no more than 3 pages) or link to a thorough LinkedIn profile. Applications should also include responses to key selection questions on our online application speaking to why you want the role, and how your experience aligns with the desired candidate profile (please do not provide a separate cover letter).
For more information or a confidential discussion, please contact our People & Operations team by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Advocacy & Campaigns Coordinator enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.