ABOUT THE BUSINESS
The Federation is the Victorian state-wide body that convenes and advocates for the rights and interests of Traditional Owners while progressing wider social,
economic, environmental, and cultural objectives. We support the progress of agreement-making and participation in decision-making to enhance the authority of Traditional Owner Corporations on behalf of their communities.
Our vision is that Traditional Owners are strong on Country, leading the social, political, economic and cultural landscape delivered through our purpose which is to facilitate and amplify Traditional Owner voices to self-determine their futures and to build on and strengthen collective interests and opportunities. We work through our values of Community, Culture, Country & Collaboration to embed recognition, empower self-determination and enable capacity.
ABOUT THE ROLES:
The Principal NRM Advisor will have significant experience in leading and managing projects with strong technical understanding of NRM related issues and ability to manage and maintain a broad range of stakeholder relationships including with Traditional Owners, and to identify and develop funding opportunities. Please see attached Position Description.
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
The positions are 24 month fixed term contract positions. The Federation offers the opportunity to maximise benefits with our salary packaging scheme. Our family-friendly workplace culture includes generous annual leave provisions and flexible working arrangements. We have a strong commitment to professional development and an active social club.
Applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged.
- Assist in the preparation and provision of advice, information and support to the design and development of policy and program activities being performed by the NRM and Economic Development Unit across a broad range of natural resource management matters.
- In conjunction with other members of the team, provide support and technical advice to Traditional Owner Corporations as they participate in local NRM initiatives, in accordance with their Caring for Country program aspirations and strategic State-wide policy settings.
- In collaboration with other members of the team, assist in the research and analysis of natural resource management issues to Federation staff, Traditional Owner Corporation staff, and Elders, Knowledge Holders and Traditional Owners where required.
- Build and enhance relationships, collaborations and partnerships with all levels of government, industry groups and practitioners, the academic community, philanthropic and community sectors to identify opportunities for increasing Traditional Owner participation in NRM.
- Under the direction of the Manager – NRM and Economic Development, represent the Federation in government, industry and Traditional Owner Community forums.
- Assist in the development of funding and service opportunities and models to strengthen income generation for the Federation and support Traditional Owner Corporations.
- Other tasks as required.
- Technical expertise in one or more of the following areas: natural resource management in cross-cultural environments; participatory planning, policy and strategy development; and land management planning.
- General understanding of federal, state and local government legislation, policies, strategies and programs relevant to natural resource management.
- Knowledge and understanding of the political, social and economic issues affecting Aboriginal Victorians and experience working collaboratively with Aboriginal people.
- Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders.
- Well-developed communication (verbal and written) skills
- Ability to manage a variety of complex tasks, and projects or parts of projects with direction and support of the Manager or other team members
- Relevant tertiary qualifications or equivalent experience.
- Ability to travel, including for some weekend work.
- A current driver’s licence.
If you have any further questions about the roles please feel free to contact:
Mr Bruce Gorring
Manager - Natural Resource Management and Economic Development Unit
T: 0438 886 096
E: firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Principle NRM Adviser enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.