- Responsible to: Co-Directors
- Location of work: Darwin
- Work Type: Part time - 0.6 FTE
- Salary: $73,108 p.a. pro rata plus 9.5% super
About Environment Centre NT
The Environment Centre NT is the peak community sector environment organisation in the Northern Territory (NT). We have been working to protect the NT environment since 1983. Our vision is for ‘thriving nature and a sustainable future for all Territorians’ and we do this by educating and informing the public on environmental issues.
Mission: To inspire, support and take action that protects the environment
1. The Northern Territory becomes a national leader in climate action, with principles of climate justice for all Territorians embedded in our response to the threat of climate change
2. The Northern Territory has strong, transparent environmental law, policy and practice
3. Everyone, everywhere is speaking up for the NT environment We work to foster sustainable communities by empowering community members to take action. ECNT works with local community groups across the NT. For more information, please visit our website: https://www.ecnt.org.au/
About the role
Climate Conversations uses the party plan model made famous by Tupperware® to facilitate discussions about climate change in people’s homes, among friends. The engagement model supports volunteers to engage and activate new audiences around climate change and solutions reaching new audiences at an unprecedented combination of depth and scale via trusted peers.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about and committed to the ECNT’s mission and work.
In collaboration with Climate for Change, the Climate Conversations Coordinator will recruit, train and support volunteers to facilitate Climate Conversations that will educate the public and build community support for and action towards climate solutions across the Territory. This position is currently funded for 3 days per week over 12 months. There is a possibility of that increasing to full-time, subject to further funding. Working hours can be flexible.
Skills and abilities you can already demonstrate
- Passion for ECNT’s work and making a meaningful difference on climate change
- Northern Territory: Has lived and worked in the Territory for at least 2 years, and understands the specific impacts and opportunities of climate change for the NT
- Relationship building: Fostering collaborative relationships and building rapport with people in different communities and between various opinions around climate change using your highly developed interpersonal skills, including mediation and facilitation skills
- Program management: Designing and delivering transformational behaviour change programs including thinking both tactically and strategically at different times
- Volunteer Support: Confidence in dealing with a wide variety of people, including coaching, supporting and training new volunteers
- Reporting and evaluation: Planning, executing, monitoring and reporting on programs, including managing end-to-end program evaluations or impact assessments
- Program materials: Developing resources fit for purpose in the NT context, and maintaining existing resources
- Ways of working: Working independently and working as part of a team including managing yourself and others, effectively prioritising your own self care
- Workload management: Leading, taking initiative, being resourceful and resilient in an environment requiring effective and quick decision-making
Additional skills and abilities we desire
- Community organising: Community organising skills or experience, including supporting our community to take ongoing climate action
- Communications: Producing, reviewing and tailoring internal and external communications in both written and oral form using a variety of mediums
- Data management: Managing information, events and contacts via Nationbuilder including maintaining an accurate database and program data Job requirements
The person in this position will require:
- Their own car and a valid driver’s licence,
- A valid Working with Children Check and a recent Police Check (or a willingness to obtain),
- flexibility to work hours outside of standard weekday hours (weekends/evenings/adaptable to suit time-zones) with some remote work.
- Flexibility to travel regionally and interstate at times appropriate for the program needs
- A quality laptop and mobile phone
A position description is attached.