Deakin University is seeking a voluntary Category A member (Veterinarian) to join the Animal Ethics Committee (AEC) in Burwood, Victoria.
The primary responsibility of the AEC is to assess applications to use animals for scientific or teaching purposes, in line with the requirements of the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes 2013 (the Code) and government legislation.
- Provide recommendations of an independent nature.
- Attend AEC meetings (8 per year) - Burwood campus in Melbourne, Victoria.
- Review AEC applications prior to meetings.
- Occasionally review out of session applications/documents.
- Participate in animal facility inspections.
- Qualifications in veterinary science that are recognised for registration as a veterinary surgeon in Victoria.
- Specialised knowledge of animals, and of advances in their care, health and general welfare.
- Experience with the use of animals in research within the University sector (or similar), or the ability to acquire relevant knowledge.