- Employment Award: Social, Community, Home Care, Disability Services Industry Award 2010 (NT)
- Salary: Level 3 or 4
- Employment Conditions: Contracted Part Time – 2 days p/w
- Lived Experience of Disability or Family or Carer
- Pro-rata of five (5) weeks recreation leave per annum
- Pro-rata of 10 days’ Personal leave per annum – accumulative
- Standard six-month probationary period applies
- Knowledge either learned or lived experience of the Disability Sector.
- Position is directly responsible to the CEO of DAS
We are a rights-based community-oriented advocacy and support service for people with a disability, their carers and family. We are looking for compassionate people who are interested in working with and on behalf of people with a disability.
Responsibilities of the position:
- Liaise with other services for Community Engagement and events for people with a disability, their carers and families
- Participate in organising and working with other stakeholders to create training opportunities
- Promotion of the rights of persons with disability through an understanding of advocacy principles.
- Make connections with local media to promote and advocate for people with a disability, through editorials and engagement
- Develop visual posters and media in association with DAS around Disability access and education
- Participate on Boards and Events planning to promote people with a disability
- Assist in recruitment and management of volunteers and students participating in DAS programs
- Assist people with a disability and/or families and carers to make contributions to DAS and share knowledge and contribute to the quality of services.
- Assist in Creating a survey of DAS activities and the wider Disability community from the perspective of lived experience.
- This position is also the WHS officer
- This position is also responsible for coordinating educational opportunities for Advisory Board and Staff
Applicants will be assessed and short-listed for interview for their suitability to this position against the following:
- Hold tertiary qualifications, relevant to the position which may include Disability or Health related studies, Social work or Educational qualifications. OR
- Significant experience in the field of disability, human rights, or social justice sectors will be considered.
- Well-developed communication skills, including the ability to successfully negotiate with, and influence, diverse groups and to communicate complex issues in plain language effectively
- Sound knowledge of legislation relevant to supporting / advocating for people with disabilities e.g. N.T. Disability Service Standards.
- Experience working with persons with disability, or experience of disability.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; and sound organisational, planning and time management skills.
- Ability to self-evaluate professional performance and growth
- Experience in working in a cross-cultural environment within the context of Central Australia
- Proven ability to develop and maintain collaborative trusted relationships with stakeholders from diverse cultural and social backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a small team and contribute to the effective operation of that team to achieve desired outcomes
- Lived Experience
- A high level of interpersonal skills, particularly in the areas of negotiation and conflict resolution
- Experience in a training environment with an ability to deliver training modules in support of people with disabilities and their carers
- Sound working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of programs and experience in the use of a client database.
- Basic knowledge of the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
- Current N.T. ‘C’ class driver’s licence.
Please identify a minimum of two referees that can comment on your knowledge and skills relevant to this position including a recent Manager or employer.
email@example.com using the subject line: Peer Support Program Advocate - Alice Springs enquiry via EthicalJobs or 08 8953 1422 for additional information.
DAS are an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people with disability. We also respect the Traditional owners on the land we deliver services and encourage applications from persons who identify as Indigenous.