- Reports to: Head of Portfolio and Systems
- Technical Unit: Portfolio and Systems
- Number of direct reports: 0
- Location: Sydney
- Job Classification: B1
About Climate Friendly
Acting to combat climate change is one of the world’s most pressing challenges. Climate Friendly was founded in 2003 as a profit-for-purpose business. Our growing team is passionate about active land management, and we are focused on finding economically viable solutions to maximise our impact on climate change. We have a proven track record, having already delivered over 14 million tonnes of carbon abatement since 2015. We are expanding our team to build on our success and help achieve our purpose of reducing emissions by 20 million tonnes by 2020, and 100 million tonnes by 2025.
As one of Australia’s largest and most experienced carbon farming project developers, Climate Friendly helps land owners and land managers to unlock economic, social and environmental value through improved management of Australia’s land. This includes more than 120 partnerships with farmers, plantation managers, agribusiness and Indigenous groups on carbon farming projects.
Primary purpose of this position:
Work in a small team to prepare and deliver technical data for a portfolio of existing and developing carbon farming projects for use in feasibility assessments, auditing, reporting and business development.
- Processing carbon modelling applications for reporting on carbon credit issuance applications
- Prepare data for upload to a database environment for use in carbon farming project reporting
Position would suit a recent graduate with an interest in environmental data analysis and management, with some related work experience preferred.
About the Portfolio and Systems Team
The team is responsible for supporting the ongoing development, improvement and production of quality technical information across Climate Friendly’s business, including:
- Preparation of spatial and technical data for carbon farming project reporting (internal and external)
- Processing carbon modelling applications for credit issuance applications
- Assessing spatial data for use in carbon abatement calculation and reporting
- Preparation and quality control of spatial and technical data for use in a postgreSQL database environment
- Technical advice and support to management and staff
- Assist the Business Development team in analysis of new abatement opportunities
- Supporting efficiency improvements in the production and delivery of information
- Maintenance of data systems required for managing field data collection
- Processing field imagery, including drone imagery, for use in spatial analysis
- Tracking the timelines for delivery of data to each of the operational and business development business units of Climate Friendly
- Maintain data correctness and completeness through quality control processes
Key outcomes / accountabilities:
Include but are not limited to:
- Provide support to Climate Friendly business units to ensure project sourcing, reporting, issuance and sale of carbon credits are completed accurately, efficiently and according to priority
- Ensure the accuracy and completion of carbon abatement calculations used in carbon credit issuance applications
- Maintain tracking of the production of technical data required across the lifecycle of a carbon abatement project.
- Support the improvement process for preparing technical data required across all stages of the carbon farming project cycle for a variety of land-based project methods
- Support the development and implementation of new processes, with a strong preference to automation where possible, to improve efficiency and accuracy of reporting
- Maintaining a good working relationship with Climate Friendly business units to ensure delivery schedules are understood and priorities communicated.
Assist in the maintenance and refinement of a best practice data management system that improves efficiency of data storage and combines abatement data with other sources to provide up-to-date business forecasts and insights.
Knowledge Skills & Experience:
Include but are not limited to:
- Bachelor Degree – forestry, science, natural resource management or data management focus
- A good understanding of a range of analytical data tools (including advanced MS Excel, R/Python and SQL) and ability to expand knowledge rapidly
- Understanding of the Emissions Reduction Fund methods and data requirements is highly desirable
- Understanding and or previous experience with carbon abatement models – including FullCAM and the Reforestation Modelling Tool is highly desirable
- High attention to detail
- Highly organised with the ability to work unsupervised
- Ability to work in a small team and contribute to group problem solving
- Availaibility for immediate start highly desirable
Climate Friendly encourages people from different backgrounds to apply, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from different cultural backgrounds and people with disabilities.