- Fixed term contract to 2022
BEING is the independent, NSW peak organisation speaking with and for people with lived/living experience of mental health issues and emotional distress. Our primary focus is to ensure the voices of people with mental health issues are heard by decision makers, service providers, and the community, and leads and influences systemic change in services and systems.
BEING is committed to human rights principles of diversity, inclusion, and equity and believes that recovery is possible for all people who live with mental health issues and emotional distress.
With a long standing history of 26 years of operation, BEING is expanding and growing a service provision portfolio, to support people dealing with the day-to-day impacts of mental health issues in their daily living, as well as support the expansion and growth of the lived experience workforce
Our current programs include:
- BEING Supported – Mental Health Peer Support Line
- BEING Leadership Academy
- BEING Suicide Prevention
- BEING Lived Experience Network
- BEING Peer Workforce Network
About the role
The Manager will coordinate the Suicide Support and Prevention Program at BEING, through leading the growth and promotion of the program, and provide expert and technical support/advice to the Ministry of Health – Mental Health Branch and other government bodies.
The role requires someone who is flexible and adaptive to the changing pace, and growth of the organisation and the Mental Health and Suicide Prevention landscape in NSW and Australia. The Manager will work with people who identify as living with mental health issues and suicidal thoughts or attempts to raise the profile of Suicide supports and prevention within our organisation and raise awareness of the stigma associated with suicide.
Integral to the role is utilising your personal lived/living experience of mental health issues and/or suicide attempts or thoughts, and an understanding of the broader lived/living experience expertise and leadership, and the core principles and values of co-design methodologies of the programs.
- Personal experience of living with mental health issues and suicidal thoughts/attempts and demonstrated ability to utilise your own recovery journey to support and inspire hope and recovery for others.
- Demonstrated skills and experience of senior management expertise in a similar or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in operational and program management including establishing new services, managing budgets, and managing contract negotiations, delivery, and reporting.
- Demonstrated experience of recruiting, supervising, and managing staff, including professional development and performance management.
- Demonstrated experience in working alongside and engaging with people with lived experience, and the use of codesign methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and as part of a team to see a project from establishment through to completion.
- Excellent interpersonal partnership management skills, with experience working collaboratively with government departments and other key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, adapt to changing agenda’s, and work under pressure and to tight timelines.
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Professional level of interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Tertiary qualifications in the health field, social sciences, or business management, or equivalent years of experience.
- Knowledge of the mental health and suicide prevention landscape in NSW and Australia.
- Experience in working in a Not For Profit (NFP) or Non-Government Organisation (NGO).
Why work with us?
- Lead and influence change for people who live with mental health issues and suicidal thoughts and attempts.
- Work for a state-wide peak organisation alongside decision and policy makers.
- Be part of a great team culture.
- Work with a passionate team of like-minded people who embrace working with people with mental health issues.
- Work with innovative programs that make a difference.
- Generous salary.
- Work in a great cool terrace office in Woolloomooloo.
BEING is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. This means we apply affirmative action strategies to the employment of people with personal lived/living experience of mental health issues.