“The VACYPA is seeking a senior project officer to support education outcomes for Aboriginal children and young people.
Do you have experience working in education, out of home care and/or family services? This job is for you!”
This new role with the VACYPA is funded for two years by the Victorian Department of Education & Training (DET). The Senior Project Officer will take a capacity building approach to improving the educational outcomes of Aboriginal children and young people in ACCO’s care and in the ACAC program.
Through this role, VACYPA will work in partnership with DET, the Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) and the Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare (the Centre) to:
- Support the implementation of the Out-of-Home Care Education Commitment: A Partnering Agreement
- Support the implementation of the Early Childhood Agreement for Children in Out-of-Home Care (Early Childhood Partnering Agreement)
- Develop and implement approaches to build the capacity and capability of professionals and carers who support Aboriginal children and young people to understand the education system and services, including early childhood education
- Develop and support approaches to improve educational attendance and engagement for Aboriginal children and young people in care by providing advice to LOOKOUT and the Department on behalf of its members
- Provide information to inform evaluation of the activity
- Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Industry Award 2010
- Full Time, Fixed Term (2years)
- Competitive Salary plus 9.5% Superannuation
- Access to Salary Packaging
Some of the Key Responsibilities are; (see PD for full key responsibilities)
- Support and build the capacity of Alliance members and their staff, including foster and kinship care program staff and case managers, to understand the education and early childhood systems, the LOOKOUT program and Partnering Agreements.
- Support and build the capacity of Alliance member and their staff, including foster, kinship and residential care program staff and case managers, to understand and implement ways to support educational engagement for young people in protection & care, assist with transitions between early childhood sector, primary school, secondary school and out of school, and address barriers to engagement in education.
- Support Alliance members to build the capacity of their carers to understand the education and early childhood systems, the Partnering Agreements and how best to assist the children in their care with their education.
- Provide input, as requested, into LOOKOUT program training and resources, including on cultural safety and inclusion, in consultation with the program governance group.
Key Selection Criteria
- Understanding of and respect for Aboriginal culture and/or experience of working in Community Sector Organisations or Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation
- Strong understanding and experience of working in the education sector
- Understanding of the Victorian child protection and out-of-home care system
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Support and advise on the delivery of high-quality training for carers, caseworkers and educators and/or capacity to develop effective resources
For more information about the position, please refer to the attached position description or email email@example.com using the subject line: Senior Project Officer Education - VACYPA - Flexible Location enquiry via EthicalJobs.
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.