About the role
We’re looking for a young person who is passionate about climate justice and all things digital to bring a vision for building the online impact of our movement. You’ll play a key role in crafting the story and messaging of our movement, supporting other staff and volunteers to communicate effectively and shift the narrative on climate across the country. There won’t be a dull moment in this role; you’ll oversee AYCC’s online communications, coordinate content across our channels, support with big tech and data projects, lead our online fundraising strategy, and more!
About the AYCC
The AYCC is a non-profit, non-partisan organisation building a movement of young people to protect our future from climate change. We are Australia’s largest youth-led organisation and one of the most effective organisations dedicated to tackling climate change, with thousands of volunteers and supporters across the continent. We have four major areas within AYCC:
- Campaigns to solve the climate crisis - we run campaigns to make sure Australia moves from fossil fuels to renewable energy as quickly as possible. Our campaigns include:
- Standing with communities in the Northern Territory to stop dangerous gas fracking by companies like Origin Energy
- Repowering Queensland with publicly-owned renewable energy
- Working to shift the narrative on climate justice in this country
- Seed Indigenous Youth Climate Network - led by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander youth, this growing network is giving Indigenous young people the skills to Protect Country. Right now, Seed are working on a campaign to stop fracking in the Northern Territory. Check out more at seedmob.org.au.
- Switched on Schools - each year we educate, inspire and empower tens of thousands of high school students to create change. We do this through in-school programs, training opportunities, and engaging students in our campaigns.
- Training, community organising & leadership programs providing a diverse range of opportunities - online, locally and nationally - for young people to build the skills and connections to make an impact
Your key responsibilities include:
- Develop messaging and written communications to cut through the noise with compelling stories that shift hearts and minds and move people to action. You’ll work closely with our campaigners and volunteers to craft effective messaging and make sure our online and offline impact work tie together.
- Manage and motivate a high-performing team including the Communications Manager and Tech & Data Manager to coordinate digital storytelling, visual and video content, while making sure our tech and online platforms are running smoothly.
- Develop an organisation-wide communications and digital strategy - and support the Communications Manager and other staff in its implementation.
- Design and implement AYCC’s online fundraising strategy, including email fundraising, social media advertising and donor acquisition, crowdfunders, and our annual peer-to-peer fundraising campaign.
- Work as part of our leadership team on organisational strategy, planning, risk management and culture.
Your core skills and attributes:
We’re a youth organisation, so we don’t expect you to be an expert at everything. We don’t care about formal qualifications; we value passion, talent and lived experiences.
- You’re passionate about climate justice and empowering young people to take action
- You’ve managed a high performing team
- You’re a fast learner and thrive working with a high degree of autonomy and accountability
- You have strong written and verbal communications skills, with experience developing communications products for a range of audiences and purposes
- You can manage complex projects and competing priorities, often under time pressure
- You’re confident working across a diverse range of digital platforms and can pick up new tools quickly (NationBuilder, Raisely, SupporterBase and Ads Manager are examples of our current tools)
- You’re excited about the chance to get creative and test new things when it comes to messaging development, social media, digital fundraising, and visual storytelling
- You’re able to train and mentor others to build their digital skills
- You’re adaptable and up for moving quickly to make the most of strategic opportunities
- You’re self-aware, have low-ego and prioritise our shared purpose
- You value giving and receiving feedback
Travel and hours
From time to time, you may be required to travel to perform the duties of the position without any additional remuneration. Your travel expenses will be covered. You’ll be able to take advantage of AYCC’s flexible and remote working policies, though you may be required to work outside of ordinary hours during key moments or events.
A position description is attached.