About the Role:
AYCC is looking for a brilliant young leader to take the growing youth climate movement into the next chapter of changing the world. The Campaigns Director will drive the strategy and delivery of AYCC’s campaigns for climate justice - moving Australia beyond fossil fuels and transitioning to 100% renewable energy. In this role, you will create and execute strategies for impact across AYCC’s national campaigns, rapid response campaigns, and traditional media engagement. No day is the same in this role - you’ll work with our thousands of volunteers to make plans and decisions, support a powerhouse team of young campaigners, coordinate collaboration with the wider movement, support Seed’s campaigning work, the list goes on!
About the AYCC:
The AYCC is a non-profit, non-partisan organisation building a movement of young people to protect our future from climate change. We are Australia’s largest youth-led organisation and one of the most effective organisations dedicated to tackling climate change, with thousands of volunteers and supporters across the continent. We have four major areas within AYCC:
- Campaigns to solve the climate crisis - we run campaigns to make sure Australia moves from fossil fuels to renewable energy as quickly as possible. Our campaigns include:
- Standing with communities in the Northern Territory to stop dangerous gas fracking by companies like Origin Energy
- Repowering Queensland with publicly-owned renewable energy
- Working to shift the narrative on climate justice in this country
- Seed Indigenous Youth Climate Network - led by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander youth, this growing network is giving Indigenous young people the skills to Protect Country. Right now, Seed are working on a campaign to stop fracking in the Northern Territory. Check out more at seedmob.org.au
- Switched on Schools - each year we educate, inspire and empower tens of thousands of high school students to create change. We do this through in-school programs, training opportunities, and engaging students in our campaigns.
- Training, community organising & leadership programs providing a diverse range of opportunities - online, locally and nationally - for young people to build the skills and connections to make an impact
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading strategy development for AYCC’s national campaigns, working with the broader staff team and national volunteer network to ensure we have maximum impact
- Managing and motivating a high-performing team to develop and implement our campaigns
- Supporting the Seed Indigenous Youth Climate Network on developing and implementing campaigns and strategies, as well as ensuring effective collaboration between AYCC and Seed around shared moments and coordinating support from AYCC on Seed’s campaigns
- Leading on traditional media engagement and pitching, ensuring our actions and campaigns can effectively attract media attention to shift the narrative on climate change
- Developing campaign communications and digital actions, such as key messages, supporter emails, rapid response digital tactics, etc.
- Mentoring staff and volunteers to develop campaigning and communications skills relevant to maximising our impact
- Working collaboratively in alliances in the broader climate movement, and representing AYCC to decision-makers and external stakeholders
- Work as part of our leadership team on organisational strategy, planning, risk management and culture
Core competencies & attributes:
We’re a youth organisation, so we don’t expect you to be an expert at everything. We don’t care about formal qualifications; we value passion, talent and lived experiences.
- You’re passionate about climate justice and empowering young people to take action
- You’re ambitious and want to have the most impact possible
- You’ve managed a high performing team
- You’ve worked on and developed some kick-ass campaigns
- You’re a fast learner and thrive working with a high degree of autonomy and accountability
- You’re a strong writer and public speaker, and you can communicate to diverse audiences
- You’re confident pitching to media, building relationships with journalists and designing campaign actions to ensure media and storytelling potential
- You can manage complex projects and competing priorities, often under time pressure
- You’re great at building and maintaining relationships and alliances
- You’re adaptable and up for moving quickly to make the most of strategic opportunities
- You’re self-aware, have low-ego and prioritise our shared purpose
- You value giving and receiving feedback
Travel and hours
You will be required to travel to perform the duties of the position without any additional remuneration. Your travel expenses will be covered. The role also requires work outside of regular office hours in order to meet with volunteers or other stakeholders.
A position description is attached.