The Australian Workers' Union of Employees, Queensland is currently seeking to employ an Organiser for a 12 month period in the Darwin region to assist members in gaining and exercising power in their workplaces, industries and communities.
About the Union
The Australian Workers’ Union is the nation’s oldest blue-collar trade union representing over tens of thousands of working men and women and their families from a large range of industries.
Duties and Responsibilities
The position will be based in Darwin and will be responsible for:
- Identifying strategic growth targets within your relevant industries and allocated workplaces;
- Develop and implement workplace plans to grow union membership, strength and activism;
- Co-ordinate and monitor the negotiation of enterprise agreements to ensure improved wages and conditions for members;
- Work with delegates, activists, and other AWU officials and organisers to implement industry and union-wide campaigns; and
- Represent the AWU and its members at the Fair Work Commission and the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission.
Selection Criteria - Values
- A passion for improving the industrial rights of workers;
- An understanding that your work will always be focused and centered around building power for workers;
- Independent, resilient, takes initiative and is always a team player;
- Energy and enthusiasm to lead and follow; and
- Someone with leadership qualities who can instill leadership in others.
Selection Criteria - Abilities and Experience
- Experience working or organising in other progressive organisations or having a background of representing workers at the workplace level;
- Ability to inspire people to join the union and actively participate in its activities;
- Sound literacy and computer skills;
- Ability to understand and interpret industrial instruments and workplace laws at the state and federal level;
- Ability to identify and develop leaders;
- Strong planning, time-management and strategic-thinking skills;
- Familiarity with contemporary digital media;
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently;
- Proven negotiating skills;
- Preparedness to travel from time to time;
- Ability to obtain and hold a Right of Entry Permit; and
- Hold a current driver licence.
The salary will be discussed with the candidates nominated to participate in a interview.