Work with a range of industry and regulatory stakeholders to ensure that new investment delivers benefits for communities in Renewable Energy Zones.
RE-Alliance (REA, formerly Australian Wind Alliance) brings together communities, businesses and individuals to deliver for regional communities as we transition to powering our homes, cities and industries with clean, renewable power.
Australia is on the brink of a massive build out of new wind and solar power, coupled with hundreds of kilometres of new transmission lines. The creation of Renewable Energy Zones (REZs) will affect hundreds of regional communities across Eastern Australia. REA sees the opportunity to ensure that REZs work for communities and make the regions better places to live, including delivering secure, well paid jobs, cheap electricity, value-added industries, and innovative community programs.
The Transmission Advocate is a critical part of the REA team working towards this goal. This position focuses on engaging with the transmission companies, along with regulators, relevant peak bodies and others, to inform them about the benefits of engaging with the community and designing benefit sharing into their projects from the outset.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL
- Use your professional experience and established networks in the renewable energy and/or transmission industries to form productive partnerships with industry stakeholders
- Apply your proven advocacy and/or change management approach to influence the transmission industry to embrace community-led plans to deliver local benefits from new investment, particularly related to REZ development
- Work with the transmission industry to improve their community engagement practices, while helping the community understand the industry, its opportunities and constraints
- Drive for improvement of regulations to support benefit sharing as standard practice in the transmission and renewable energy sectors
- Work collaboratively in a small, interdependent team to ensure that the social license for REZs and transmission projects is reinforced by the delivery of benefits to the communities where the development is taking place.
YOU’VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES
- At least 5 years professional experience in the renewable energy and transmission industries associated with regulatory processes of the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO), with established networks and a strong analytical understanding of the sector
- Demonstrated record of developing innovative projects and setting and delivering challenging objectives in collaboration with partners and stakeholders
- Proven successful record of community or industry engagement or advocacy with a track record of undertaking change processes in partnerships with business, community and government
- High level written and oral communication skills with experience communicating complex concepts to a wide range of audiences and utilising appropriate technology and social media
- A passion for building Australia’s renewable energy future and improving the fabric of local communities
- Current valid driver’s licence and ability to travel widely on the Eastern Seaboard.
- Understanding of the needs and opportunities in rural and regional Australia
- Awareness of community organising principles and concepts
A position description is attached.
- JOB TYPE: Full time, 12 month contract with view to extension
- REMUNERATION: $90-100,000 per annum plus super subject to skills and experience
- LOCATION: Work from Home or co-working space (Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney)
- MANAGER: National Director
- INTERVIEWS: Interviews are scheduled to take place in mid-late Jan, so please indicate most appropriate contact number