- Sydney CBD location
- Strategic role
- One of the world’s leading humanitarian aid agencies
- Full time permanent opportunity
Outline & Purpose of Role:
Australia for UNHCR is an international aid agency that raises funds from Australian donors to support the humanitarian operations of the UN Refugee Agency. Established in 2000 as part of a global fundraising network it has now raised more than $325 million from a broad network of individuals, community and corporate partners.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic individual to lead our organisation’s communications, public affairs and supporter engagement, ensuring high standards, integration of communications and continuity of brand.
With oversight of outreach, content, brand and editorial strategy, the role is responsible for delivering activity to engage new audiences with our work, support existing donor relations, support fundraising channels, work with the Board and National Director on thought leadership, and steward the profile of Australia for UNHCR with key sectors and stakeholders.
This includes delivering fundraising content, media and public relations, social media and digital channels, brand management, working with influencers and partners to support our cause, and raising the organisation’s profile through leadership activity.
This role also works closely with UNHCR communications colleagues in Geneva, Copenhagen, Canberra and field operations across the globe.
- Develop and lead the communications, brand and content strategy.
- Develop and implement overarching content strategy focused on reaching key audiences.
- Support the Executive team to develop and achieve the organisation’s strategic goals in Communications, Public Engagement and Advocacy including preparation of briefs and submissions
The successful applicant will possess the following attributes:
- Minimum 10 years’ relevant work experience
- A relevant tertiary qualification in public relations, journalism, marketing or a similar discipline
- Understanding of the international aid sector, with experience in the sector being an advantage.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop collaborative relationships with the media in Australia, including newspapers, magazines and broadcast media, and work with partners, influencers and high profile supporters/celebrities.
- Understanding and experience in digital media
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to engage at senior levels and high competence in copywriting, adaptable to different formats.
- Proven skills in effective team leadership.
- Capacity to handle interviews and support the National Director in representing the organisation externally.
- Financial management skills including budgeting and analysis.