- Location: Alice Springs
- Type: part-time, 0.6FTE
- Salary: $60K pa pro-rata, 5 weeks annual leave
The Events and Supporter Engagement Officer is responsible for engaging with our community in a meaningful way through ALEC’s events and volunteer program, supporting the community to take action for the environment in Central Australia.
Healthy futures for arid lands and people
About the organisation
The Arid Lands Environment Centre (ALEC) is Central Australia's own environmental organisation founded in 1980. ALEC works to protect the environment and build resilient and sustainable communities throughout Central Australia. Being the only environment centre for more than 1500 kilometres in all directions, ALEC works across a wide range of issues and supports communities taking action for themselves. ALEC catalyses change in the Arid Lands through advocacy, campaigning, community events, public meetings and driving local sustainable initiatives in Alice Springs, including the Community Garden Network and Food for Alice.
Purpose of the position
We’re looking for a motivated and vibrant person to work with and supervise ALEC’s community engagement, fundraising and awareness events. The events portfolio includes the desertSMART EcoFair, ALEC 40th Birthday Gala, workshops and talks. You’ll be responsible for building a network of volunteer support for the organisation. The position will also provide administrative support to ensure our member and donor database is up to date.
Working closely with the Communications Manager and CEO, to broaden the organisation's existing supporter base, deepen the level of engagement with the community and empower and encourage more people to get involved in local environmental action.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Assist in the development of the annual events program, in consultation with the Communications Manager, CEO and others
- Organise and work with the Communication Manager to deliver end-to-end ALEC events including bump-in, bump-out, setting up ticketing, event timelines, run sheets, support for digital events, budgeting and debriefing.
- Assess the volunteer needs for each event, and coordinate the recruitment and training of volunteers to facilitate/support events.
- Work with the ALEC team to assess the organisation’s volunteer needs and identify new volunteering opportunities that align with ALEC’s strategic goals
- Assist with the recruitment, training, promotion and support of volunteers, including regular and ongoing volunteer engagement
- Maintain the volunteer database and documents, including updating the volunteer induction pack and keeping up to date volunteer records
- Work with the Communications Manager to develop content for social media, newsletters, etc., to recognise volunteer contributions and to help promote the volunteer program.
- Respond to general supporter enquiries that come through the website and general inbox
- Maintain the membership and donor database: i.e. changes to supporters’ personal details; direct debit mandates; communication preferences; membership status
- Reactivate/renew lapsed donors and members when and as required
- Demonstrate experience in developing, planning and running workshops, training, conferences etc.
- Demonstrate experience working with a wide range of people including marginalised and disadvantaged groups
- Demonstrate experience within the social change sector, networking and maintaining existing relationships of volunteers, donna’s, members and others.
- Experience in Volunteer engagement and management
- Experience using Gmail, Google Drive, Microsoft suite programs
- Ability to work independently but also as part of a team
- Excellent reading, writing and comprehension skills
- NT Drivers Licence (or willingness to get one prior to starting)
- Experience marketing events and venue services through face to face and online avenues
- Experience producing newsletters and social media content.
- Experience in supporting the development of new income generating projects
- Experience in developing and maintaining project partnerships with the community sector
- Experience with using Nation Builder software
- Good understanding of local environmental issues
Reports to: Communications and Campaigns Manager
Length of term: 6 months with option to extend
Jimmy Cocking, ALEC CEO
Phone: 08 8952 2497
Email: email@example.com, using the subject line: Events and Supporter Engagement Officer - Alice Springs enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.