- 2 x Permanent Full Time opportunities based in Perth, WA
- Opportunity to support the Carer Gateway
- Join a growing not for profit organisation and be part of a value-driven organisation
Who we are:
HelpingMinds is a highly regarded carer support and mental health services organisation, established over 40 years ago. Our compassionate team of staff and dedicated volunteers throughout the metro and regional areas, provide quality services and support to more than 10,000 children, youth, adults and families affected by mental illness every year.
HelpingMinds is part of a consortium led by Carers WA as Regional Delivery Partner (RDP) for the Integrated Carer Support Service (ICSS) known as the Carer Gateway, which incorporates providing supports to carers identified in the Carer Recognition Act who provide daily care and support to people with disability, medical conditions, mental illness or who are frail aged.
We are a value-driven organisation that encompasses the values of Hope, Collaboration, Trust, Integrity, and Respect to provide quality service. We welcome your individuality, your ideas, your passion and your drive. Our people focused culture and flexible approach will help you to succeed both professionally and personally.
The Family Support Counsellor is responsible for providing safe, collaborative and confidential counselling aimed at promoting client and family mental health and well-being, enhancing self-understanding, and resolving identified concerns.
The role requires the ability to work autonomously as well as team member, delivering counselling through face-to-face, telephone, email and/or video sessions.
Carer Support Counsellors provide person-centred support to carers ranging in age from 8–90+ years who experience challenges with:
- A range of mental health concerns including stress related to the caring role
- Family functioning and relationship issues
- Grief and loss (lifestyle changes) and bereavement
- Co-occuring chronic illness
- Dementia affected families
- Emotional support and self esteem issues
- The team member will also be required to liaise with a wide range of partner organisations to raise awareness of carers within the broader community
Responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to:
- Provide a counselling service to young and adult carers, including Aboriginal and culturally and linguistically diverse (CaLD) carers – (face to face, telephone, e-mail and/or video).
- Employ both a brief intervention model for working with clients as well as therapeutic interventions where that is appropriate for the support HelpingMinds offers.
- Provide an information and referral service for Carers.
- Advocate for Carers as required.
- Develop and deliver specialised groups and workshops.
- Provide educational workshops and community awareness programs for Community Groups.
- Represent HelpingMinds at seminars, meetings and workshops as required.
- Promote the activities of HelpingMinds through liaison with local, state and federal government facilities, referral agencies/community groups and other organisations as necessary.
- Develop and maintain close working partnerships with local government and non-government organisations and develop strong referral pathways.
What you will need to succeed:
To be considered for this role candidates will need to have a minimum of three (3) years counselling work experience in Australia.
Essential qualifications include:
- National Police Clearance (no older than 6 months)
- Working with Children Check
- Current Drivers License
- Tertiary qualification in social behavioural or health sciences and have (or be eligible for) accreditation within an Australian professional association e.g. PACFA, ACA or AASW.
What you’ll receive in return:
In addition to joining a professional and dynamic team, you will work in a supportive and positive environment with staff that live by HelpingMinds’ values and have a strong focus on community needs. We understand the importance of health and wellbeing and offer an employee wellness program.
Additional benefits include:
- Salary packaging benefits
- Surface Pro laptop
- Company mobile phone
- Four weeks annual leave with 17.5% leave loading
- Two additional wellness days per year to support your own mental health
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
- Annual flu vaccination
A position description is attached.