Union Aid Aboard-APHEDA is the global justice organisation of the Australian trade union movement. We work globally in partnership for the achievement of dignity at work, social justice, economic equality and the realisation of human rights. We work to achieve this through strong unions and social movements, sustainable development programs, global solidarity, and support at times of crisis.
This position’s overall responsibility is to act as an organising lead to support Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA’s program for organising, education and fundraising. The Organiser is responsible for working with our national activist network to assist them to build our membership base and fundraise for our movement-building work, deliver global justice education and strategise for membership engagement in our campaign work.
This role requires an experienced organiser with union, not for profit, or other campaigning and organising experience, who can work strategically and collaboratively to achieve program outcomes.
- Lead Organising
- Lead the national organising strategy
- Work collaboratively to oversee the small national to identify, plan, implement and evaluate an organising, education and fundraising strategy in line with organisational strategy
- Act in a lead organiser role to activist networks and workplace activists nationally towards membership growth goals and effective fundraising
- Assist the implementation of Union Aid Abroad’s priority campaigns through organised activist networks
- Plan and deliver on agreed membership growth strategies
- Facilitate national APHEDA activist meetings/conferences
- Develop key resources and tools for effective global justice education
- Develop effective strategies for deployment of education tools through union education, community education and broader social media strategy
- Develop a network of activist and educators able to deliver global justice education and promote the work of Union Aid Abroad
- Be able to effectively communicate the work of Union Aid Abroad in public forums when required
- Work with the Communications and Digital Organiser on effective communication and education via social media and established union media channels
- Maintain volunteer educator records for reporting
- Coordinate national events including annual dinners, speaking tours, community fundraisers and union/campaign solidarity actions
- Support the Communications and Digital Organiser to develop the twice yearly annual appeals & emergency appeals
- Provide support to state-based APHEDA activist groups & events
- Assist in maximising income through new strategies with existing memberships, through social media and on-line methods
- Be responsible for tracking and mapping membership data , planning and implementation of membership growth projects
- Relationship Management
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships and strategic partnerships with individuals, unions, and community organisations as required
- Work as a member of a team and support efforts by staff towards membership growth goals and global justice education and promotion of the work of Union Aid Abroad
Other duties as directed.
- Demonstrated lead organising experience
- Demonstrated experience in team coordination
- Excellent analytical, planning and organisational skills with ability to contribute with critical and innovative thinking
- Demonstrated experience in working with member database or CRM systems
- Ability to contribute to and think creatively about fundraising for not-for-profit organisations
- Established networks in Australian unions. Demonstrated commitment to union values
- Well-developed interpersonal and leadership skills, an ability to represent Union Aid Abroad, to build and maintain relationships and networks effectively in support of organisational goals
- A team player with a demonstrated ability to work independently, within the context of a plan, and having a track record of achieving targets
- Computer literate, including good knowledge of office information technology applications, including spreadsheets, and presentation software
- Capable of working effectively in fast paced and challenging environments
- Experience and understanding of working in not-for-profit environments with limited resources
Reports To: Executive Officer
Union Aid Abroad staff in Australia, activist networks in Australia, key union officials.
- This position will be based in Sydney or Melbourne
- Terms and conditions of employment are as per the Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA Enterprise Agreement, which includes 15% superannuation, salary packaging worth approximately 10% of salary and family- friendly conditions
- 4 or 5 days per week, 37.5 hours full time equivalent
- Permanent with 3 month probationary period
- Gross salary for this position is $85,899 annually (FTE)
- 4 weeks annual leave plus additional Xmas-New Year period
- Some travel within Australia and out of hours work is expected
- Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA is committed to the protection of children and vulnerable people. As such, the successful applicants will be required to sign our Child Protection Code of Conduct and will be subject to a police check and other screening tests.
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA is an equal opportunity organisation. Women and people of colour are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for interviews.