Are you a Midwife interested in making a difference to the working lives of our midwifery members? We’re looking to recruit a Midwife or Nurse/Midwife (dual registered) who will advance the practice of Midwives and promote them to working to their full scope of practice in safe and supported environments. The Professional Organiser will play a leadership role in our campaign to achieve mandated minimum ratios for Midwives, including ‘counting of babies’, and will support membership growth through workplace organising and professional activities.
You’ll also be joining Australia’s largest union that represents the professional, industrial and political interests of over 300,000 Nurses, Midwives and carers nationally.
Duties of the position
- Develop and implement workplace organising and campaign-related advocacy activities.
- Contribute to the professional development of Midwives.
- Promote the adoption of evidence-based practice within workplaces.
- Assist with and support the development of publications, flyers, bulletins, posters, social media content and other materials.
- Assist with the delivery and review of education, learning, and training plans for Workplace Delegates.
- Develop high level submissions and responses to consultation papers.
- High level/well developed communication, influencing, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate at senior levels.
- Demonstrated analytical and research skills and experience in the preparation of high-level reports, responses and/or policies.
- Highly motivated and self-directed with the ability to respond to changing priorities and competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated workplace activism.
- Registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.
- Relevant qualifications and experience e.g. Health policy, education, leadership.
- Recent Union Organiser experience.
A Great Place to Work
In recognition of your ability to influence the future of midwifery in Canberra, we offer:
- Competitive salary, leave loading and superannuation above the superannuation guarantee.
- Strong professional development opportunities.
- Option to accrue ADOs.
- Salary-sacrifice available.
- Flexible work arrangements to support work/life balance including possible part-time hours.
- 5 weeks annual leave (including Christmas close-down period).
Occasional interstate travel may be required.
A position description is attached.