Do you want to grow the union movement? Are you looking for a job with autonomy within a dynamic team environment?
The Australian Manufacturing Workers' Union WA Branch is looking to employ a Union Organiser on a 12 month full time contract with potential for extension to work with us to build our union.
This position involves working with members, potential members, union delegates, Health and Safety Representatives and other officials and officers of the Union.
This role will centre primarily around growing the union in the South West region of WA, and the organiser will be expected to live in the South West, with intra and interstate travel as required.
There is a strong emphasis on communicating with and supporting workplace delegates and leaders.
The main responsibilities of this role are:
- Delivering a structured organising conversation in order to recruit, retain and activate union members
- Creating with your lead and then autonomously working to organising plans;
- Identifying and developing workplace delegates;
- Building active and sustainable organising structures;
- Working with member leaders to mobilise members to take collective action;
- Support Delegates, Work Health and Safety representatives, and Members in resolving workplace issues;
- Educating members about the link between legislative power and industrial results.
A successful candidate will have:
- Demonstrated commitment to trade union values;
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work with and support delegates, members and union officials;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and work to organising plans and activities and their planned outcomes;
- Strong interest in the modern Australian industrial relations environment;
- Commitment to AMWU political values;
- Well developed written communication skills including online;
- Computer literacy and keyboard skills: word processing, email and SMS systems;
- Demonstrated ability to “talk union” with potential members and members;
- Current driver's license;
- The ability to travel and work flexible arrangements.
Desirable / Useful:
- Previous experience working as an organiser in the union movement;
- Knowledge of and use of organising frameworks;
- Ability to read and interpret a clause in a Fair Work Act, Award or an Enterprise Agreement;
- An understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety legislative context;
- Experience mobilising activists to take collective action.
Salary: Level will be commensurate with experience
- Monthly RDOs
- 10.5% super
- AMWU car use
- Mobile phone
Those who have most but not all requirements are encouraged to apply. Please do not hesitate to contact Steve McCartney if you have any queries in relation to the position via email at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Organiser - South West Region enquiry via EthicalJobs.