Voice at the Table - Building Stronger Voices
ABOUT VOICE AT THE TABLE
“We provide practical information to ensure that people with cognitive disability have a real and equal voice at the table. Everything we do is disability led, co designed and aligns with the civil rights slogan, “Nothing About Us Without Us."
- VATT has trained people with cognitive disability (Intellectual Disability and Acquired Brain Injuries) to speak up and become self-advocates (VATT Training).
- VATT trained Government Departments and other organisations to run their meetings in an inclusive manner so that everyone can have a say (Inclusive Meeting Training).
- The Monthly Meetup - is a peer led capacity building meeting for self-advocates who have completed VATT Training.
- The VATT CHAT podcast was co-designed in March 2020 as a response to the Covid -19 pandemic.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE PROJECT?
The Voice at the Table ILC Project- Building Stronger Voices will identify and address barriers that people with cognitive disabilities face in exercising their right to civic, social and political participation.
WHAT WILL THE ROLE ENTAIL?
The VATT Training Team Leader will be responsible for:
- Co-facilitating the delivery of VATT Training
- Applying co-design and inclusion principles in the continuing development of VATT Training, team and resources
- Supervising staff (both with and without cognitive disability)
- Being point of contact for all enquiries regarding VATT Training
- Championing use of accessible communication such as Plain and Easy English
- Supporting data collection, reporting and evaluation of VATT outcomes
- Contributing as part of VATT’s leadership team and development
Voice at the Table has grown, we now have our own offices, the funding more staff and multiple activities. For the right person, this is an awesome opportunity to assist a brilliant team to reach the next level in change making. Whoever is successful will have support but also freedom to grow and extend the project.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Tertiary qualifications in community development or disability studies or demonstrated equivalent experience and skills.
- Demonstrated experience in training and facilitation
- Capacity to deliver co-designed and co-facilitated content
- Demonstrated knowledge of self advocacy and Self Advocacy Groups
- Knowledge of the disability sector, particularly the needs of people with cognitive disabilities (intellectual disability and acquired brain injury)
- An understanding of and commitment to working from a human rights model of disability perspective
- Experience in the development of accessible resources, with a focus on Easy and Plain English
- The ability to support people with cognitive disabilities to take advantage of what they already know and to continue to grow in their skills
- Well developed interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build positive working relationships with staff and stakeholders
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills
- 4 days a week - can work remotely, however some time in our Melbourne CBD office is required.
- July 2021 to June 30th 2022.
- $102,000 pro rata for a 4 day wk + super + salary sacrifice
- SCHCADS Worker Level 6, Pay point 3, Community Development Worker Class II(b)
Applications should include a cover letter, current resume and a response to key selection criteria
For more info email Tom Bevan on firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Team Leader, Advocacy Training Voice at the Table enquiry via EthicalJobs, or call on 03 9070 9071.
A position description is attached.