Use your fundraising skills to make a real difference for our Great Barrier Reef and Australia’s oceans.
We’re seeking an expert fundraiser, and major relationships manager to lead our major gift, bequests and corporate partners programs. If you’re looking for a long-term role in a supportive environment, where your skills will be nurtured and developed, then read on.
The Australian Marine Conservation Society has been protecting Australia’s oceans and marine life for over 50 years. We are one of Australia’s most influential environmental charities. As an independent, not‐for‐profit conservation group we advocate for the changes necessary to safeguard our oceans and their wildlife, which are some of the richest and rarest on earth.
Our fundraising team of six specialists is close-knit, impact-driven and creative. This senior role will be supported to drive the growth and effective maintenance of all our VIP and relationship-based programs. If you are a dynamic and effective fundraiser who thrives in a fast-paced environment, looking for a stimulating workplace with a supportive environment then we encourage you to apply.
- Position Title: Major Gifts and Philanthropy Manager
- Location: Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney preferred but the location for this role is negotiable
- Salary: $80,000-$90,000 per annum (pro-rata), plus 11% superannuation
- Hours: Part-time 4 days a week (30.4 hours per week)
- Contract period: Initial two-year contract, with a view to extension.
Purpose of the position:
This post works to support the critical work of AMCS, raising much needed funds for our work to protect Australia's oceans and their threatened marine life and helping donors fulfil their passions and interests through giving to AMCS.
The Major Gifts and Philanthropy Manager reports to the Fundraising Manager.
The Major Gifts and Philanthropy Manager is a key member of the Fundraising Team. You will work with the Fundraising Manager to meet annual fundraising targets and medium-term strategic plan goals by implementing the major donor and bequest strategies.
You will manage our major gifts and bequest pipelines, working to identify and migrate existing donors to major donors and bequestors. You will secure gifts of $5,000 and above from existing organisational major donors of donors and prospects. You will ensure effective cultivation and stewardship of donors and prospects, to retain existing support and secure new sources of funding.
Whilst the major donors and bequests programs are the priorities for this role, you will also help to drive income from the philanthropic sector, including trusts, foundations and grants.
You will manage existing relationships with corporate partners and secure beneficial new corporate partnerships.
This role will also oversee the external implementation of our grants calendar and grant writing.
Primary tasks and responsibilities:
- Work with a qualified portfolio of donors to nurture and secure repeat and increased gifts.
- Identify and convert potential donors for gifts of over $5000 from the existing AMCS individual giving program and external sources.
- Coordinate prospect development activities and the movement of donors and prospects between the mid and major donor program.
- Create individual goals based on the donor’s history of giving and the organisation’s knowledge of that donor’s potential.
- Work with our marine campaigns teams to create offers, proposals, asks and cases for support for major gifts.
- Ensure that donors are engaged and inspired about their contributions and that all obligations to donors are fulfilled.
- Arrange events and activities to engage existing and prospective major donors.
- Coordinate the annual major gift prospectus to inspire donors to increase their annual gift.
- Execute bequests left to the organisation.
- Nurture and engage the existing portfolio of confirmed bequestors and others already in the bequest pipeline.
- Grow bequest pipeline by identifying and engaging new bequest prospects from the database of existing AMCS donors and nurturing them to the point of a confirmed bequest.
- Work with the Individual Giving Manager to implement personalised variates of existing communications to this group of supporters.
- Manage omni channel (digital, telemarketing and direct mail) journeys to convert bequest prospects.
- Arrange events and activities to engage existing and prospective bequestors.
- Oversee the external implementation of our grants calendar and grant writing.
- Write applications to individual funding bodies and communicate with them to maintain relationships.
- Work with the CEO and campaigners to report back to major donor and philanthropic funders where needed in a timely and impactful manner
- Redevelop and implement a new strategy for our corporate partners program to increase its financial and campaign impact.
- Nurture and manage relationships with corporate partners to ensure repeat and increased gifts.
- Identify and target appropriate prospects to develop new corporate partnerships.
- Work with campaigners to secure non-financial benefits for our conservation work from our corporate relationships.
REPORTING AND SUPPORT
- Provide regular reports to the CEO, management and Board on program performance.
- Manage the data and profiles of our major financial supporters in the AMCS database (Salesforce).
- to keep up to date and accurate information.
- Secure ‘matched giving’ from major donors or corporate partners to support the individual giving program on a yearly basis.
Essential Selection Criteria
- Demonstrated experience in major donor or bequest fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising from individuals, including managing and nurturing VIP donor relationships via email, telephone and in person.
- Experience in developing fundraising appeals and materials, in particular in a major gift or philanthropic context.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience in developing and implementing fundraising plans, programs and income/expenditure budgets.
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal and time management skills.
- Commitment to achieving positive change for our oceans.
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Experience of using a contacts relationship management database.
- Understanding of direct marketing techniques or individual giving fundraising programs.
- Experience in managing events or activities to nurture and engage major financial donors.
- Grant and copywriting skills.
- Experience in corporate giving and partnerships.
- Tertiary qualification in marketing or fundraising industry body accreditations.
The Australian Marine Conservation Society is the voice for Australia's oceans. We are an independent not-for-profit charity. We deal with the big issues concerning the sea, working with the community to protect our marine wildlife, tackling major threats to our oceans and creating marine sanctuaries, places in the sea where sea life is safe from harm. Across our campaigns we tackle climate change - the biggest existential threat to our ocean planet, with our Great Barrier Reef at the fire front. We are a committed group of professional and passionate scientists, educators and advocates who have defended Australia's oceans for over 50 years.
- Integrity. We are trusted, credible, independent and ethical in our actions.
- Courage. We are brave, respectful and honest advocates for marine life.
- Passion. We demonstrate commitment to and care for our oceans in all we do.
- Solidarity. We work together, embracing equity, diversity and inclusivity.
- Effectiveness. We are driven, professional, agile and resilient, working to deliver the best outcomes for Australia’s people and wildlife.
AMCS is a strictly non-partisan and an equal opportunities employer. Indigenous Australians are encouraged to apply.
Please Note: Applicants must have the right to work in Australia. That is, you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen, or hold a valid visa with permission to work on an ongoing basis.
For all enquiries about this position please contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Major Gifts and Philanthropy Manager enquiry via EthicalJobs, or 07 3846 6777.