Western Australian Family Violence Prevention Legal Service Aboriginal Corporation ICN 7333
Trading as the Aboriginal Family Legal Services (WA) aims to provide free, culturally secure, legal and support services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander victims and survivors of family violence and/or sexual assault
COUNSELLOR - Corporate Office – 12 month contract - Part Time - 40hrs per f/n - School Hours available
AFLS are seeking an experienced counsellor with strong communication, counselling and training skills who has the passion and drive to provide professional counselling and training to legal and non legal staff across the organisation. The position is based in our legal services office in Perth and will work closely with the Family Advocate Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities Include:
- Provide trauma informed FDV training to all AFLS WA staff
- Provide specialised counselling to support the psychological and emotional wellbeing of AFLS WA staff.
- Assist Family Advocate Manager to develop a trauma informed practice training program, develop a therapeutic program manual, and develop client safety handbooks.
- Assist with the completion of the support groups for victims/survivors and community outreach services that were delayed due to COVID-19.
- Co-ordinate travel and training requirements for AFLS employees.
- There may be occasional travel to regional Western Australia.
- Diploma of Counselling
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as counsellor
- Experience working for a not-for-profit organisation.
- Experience and knowledge of Trauma-Informed Practice and therapeutic counselling approaches.
- Understanding and awareness of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, cultures and issues.
- Understanding best practices in family and domestic violence prevention and intervention
- Prior experience using Microsoft Office 365 and Sharepoint.
- Demonstrated ability to work in multidisciplinary team
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Current ‘C’ class WA Driver’s License
- Current Federal Police Clearance
- Working with Children’s Check