- Full time Contract role (18 months) working with the peak body for the Australian union movement, advancing workers’ rights focussed on CALD workers with a South Asian background, based in Melbourne.
The Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) is the peak union body representing over 1.5 million workers and their families.
Since its creation in 1927, the ACTU has spearheaded some of the most fundamental workplace struggles in Australia’s history.
The ACTU’s role as a peak body is to be a national voice for our movement and defending and advancing workers’ rights by co-ordinating union campaigns, representing workers at a range of government and non-government forums and to provide industrial, policy and other support to our affiliates.
The ACTU Support Centre Organiser (CALD Communities) is responsible for handling inbound calls, outbound calls, social media, email and text correspondence focusing on CALD workers with a South Asian (e.g. Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi) background.
This is an 18-month full-time fixed term contract position, with a spread of opening hours of 9am to 6:30pm weekdays, based on shift-structures.
The Support Centre Organiser (CALD Communities) will be fluent in a major language of South Asia (e.g. Hindi and/or Punjabi). She/he will primarily provide information to workers from CALD backgrounds via online channels (email, online chat, and social media) but will also provide information via the phone.
The position will assist with producing information and guidance materials, and social media content to raise awareness of rights at work issues and to promote the Support Centre.
- Work with trade unions to improve their capacity and ability to engage with and support CALD workers;
- Produce and assist with the production of information materials and guidance in languages other than English, including written material and material for social media and other digital channels;
- Collaborate with colleagues in the Support Centre and the Digital & Social Media Team to better advise CALD workers on workplace laws, especially as they relate to the COVID-19 pandemic and related matters;
- Support work evaluating and reporting on the service;
- Provide flexibility to deliver the ACTU Support Centres ambition to meet the diverse needs of workers and the union movement.
Key selection criteria
- A good knowledge of Australian industrial relations and workplace laws.
- Commitment to and passion for the values of the Australian union movement.
- High-level fluency in Hindi and/or Punjabi.
- Track record working with organisations to provide support, information and assistance to people from non-English speaking backgrounds.
- Capacity to maintain high quality interactions in a high-volume environment regardless of the channel – phone, email, social media or SMS.
- Confident user of a range of IT tools, e.g., Microsoft Office, Zendesk, etc.
- Experience in understanding workflow management systems, omni channel support platforms and managing individual deadlines and goals.
- Experience in working in a Union, industry super fund and/or community organisation is highly regarded.
The ACTU will offer the successful candidate salary at Level 2-3, along with 15% superannuation, generous leave arrangements.