The ACTU seeks to promote a growth in membership across the Movement and within individual unions. In doing so it seeks to reach out to a diverse range of community members including CALD community members. We seek to appoint an CALD Organiser within the Growth and Capacity Building team. You will work with other members of the team whose key focus is on how we grow our movement.
Your primary role will be the co-ordination of the Unions and CALD communities affiliates network and to extend and deepen the movements engagement with CALD Communities.
This network will bring together all affiliates and TLC’s working in this area with a view to share our learning and grow our movement.
This position is responsible for:
- Undertaking capacity building activities within the movement and with unions, with a particular focus on CALD workers
- Building capacity across the movement to increase the number of CALD community members who are members of their union
- Increasing the engagement of and active participation of CALD community members in union activities and in their workplaces
- Establish and coordinate a Unions and CALD communities affiliates network
- Work with affiliates to map and extend engagement with CALD community organisations particularly those with grassroots connections to working people
- Develop and implement a project strategy in conjunction with your team lead that sets out a detailed plan to grow our movement and membership of unions focused on CALD communities.
- Build and maintain relationships with all affiliates of the ACTU and their relevant branches at a national, state level for the implementation of the Project
- Work in partnership with the various Trades and Labour Councils
- Develop, implement and monitor an evaluation framework for the Project
- Participate and engage with relevant community allies.
- Contribute to the broader Growth and Capacity Building team and its various project, organising and education programs.
- Promote the establishment of CALD community and member engagement strategies.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- A Commitment to and passion for the values of the Australian union movement.
- A strong engagement with CALD community members
- Knowledge and experience in building union or organisational capacity
- High level of IT and social media literacy.
- High level organising and/or campaigning skills and a demonstrated ability to build and support groups of members or activists.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills
- Capacity to provide insight into the ongoing development of a successful project and/or campaign strategy.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with key stakeholders including TLCs, affiliates and community allies.
- Demonstrated capacity to work well with others in a team environment & to provide leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in project management including the development, delivery and evaluation of capacity building projects
- Highly developed organisational and time management skills.
- Capacity to exercise judgment, discretion & initiative within a politically sensitive environment.
- Proficient in speaking a language/languages other than English