Media and Communications Advisor to ACT Greens Member for Yerrabi Andrew Braddock, ACT Greens Member for Ginninderra Jo Clay MLA & ACT Greens Member for Brindabella Johnathan Davis MLA.
ACT Greens MLAs Johnathan Davis, Jo Clay and Andrew Braddock are seeking a Media and Communications Advisor for their team.
- Key roles are media relations, content development and community engagement.
- Support the MLAs to engage with constituents in their electorates: Ginninderra (Belconnen area), Yerrabi (Gungahlin area) and Brindabella (Tuggeranong area).
- Support the MLAs as the Greens spokespeople for: Better Neighbourhoods; Corrections; Democracy, Integrity and Community Engagement; Multicultural Communities; Police and Emergency Services; Workplace Safety and Industrial Relations; Transport; Parks and Conservation; Animal Welfare; Arts and Culture; Circular Economy; Women; Education; Health; Drug Harm Minimisation; Business and the Night-time Economy; LGBTIQA+ Affairs; Sport and Recreation; Tourism and Events; Youth.
- Use a range of channels to engage Canberrans in the political process and bring their voices into government decision-making.
- Facilitate government transparency and accountability by proactively and reactively providing information to constituents, community stakeholders and the media.
- Use your skills and knowledge of evolving best practice in writing, photography, graphic design and video production to create impactful content including: media releases, social media posts, talking points, flyers, posters and web pages.
- Work with the team to identify, plan and manage the MLAs’ media opportunities and events
- Monitor daily local political landscape
- Work as part of a team committed to ecological sustainability, social justice, peace and non-violence and grassroots participatory democracy.
- Other duties as directed.
- Strong writing skills, with demonstrated ability to translate complex or technical language into information of use to the broader community.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop and maintain constructive relationships with a variety of stakeholders in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Demonstrated experience in media relations, developing responses to enquiries, writing media releases and arranging media events within tight deadlines.
- Skills in content development, such as text, video and images for publication, web and social media.
- Aptitude for thinking politically and strategically to achieve the MLA’s proposed reforms. This requirement includes having a knowledge of, or interest in, the processes of the Legislative Assembly.
The position will be available from January 2021.
The role is for the term of the Government and is set at Adviser Level 1 (upper) at $79,310-$83,200 depending on experience, plus superannuation and 9.5% loadings in lieu of overtime and Long Service Leave.
The successful candidate will be engaged under a Legislative Assembly Members’ Staff contract, and other terms and conditions of employment are governed by the ACT Legislative Assembly Members’ Staff Enterprise Agreement 2018 – 2021. It is not an ACT Public Service position.
Applications from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged.
The role is based in the Legislative Assembly, however, given the need for a COVID-safe work environment, flexible arrangements will be supported where possible. Applications for part-time positions will be considered.
For further information please contact Indra Esguerra on (02) 6205 8500.
A position description is attached.