AbilityMade's big hairy audacious goal is to progress mobility beyond human capability. AbilityMade has developed a digital fabrication platform, using state-of-the-art 3D Scanning, Automated CAD Modelling, and 3D Printing, to create custom-made medical grade orthoses.
Our product suite scales-up a clinicians capacity and capability to generate positive outcomes for children with disability. To do this, we not only use our minds to think, dream and speak about change but also use hands to tinker, test and create change.
Our mission makes a difference and makes us feel warm and fuzzy, which is why we do what we do. So what have we done since we started back in 2015 (cue bragging)? First off, we conducted a clinical trial with 30ish children with disabilities to identify their specific pain-points, so we could develop what they actually need. To do that we ran a crowdfunding campaign and tripled our target in 24 hours. We've built our very own mechanical testing apparatus, invented and built 7 instantaneous 3D scanners, and collaborated on projects which supported regional, remote and refugee kids, collected a bunch of accolades and media attention in the process. Yeah, we've been a little busy! Yet, the achievement we are incredibly proud of is the impact we deliver to our customers. In the last year, we've delivered hundreds of 3D modelled, and 3D printed ankle-foot orthoses, a step in the right direction.
AbilityMade is a collection of over 10 weird and wonderful human beings based in Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne. We are diverse in our skillset and mindset but are united by a purpose to deliver significant impact through hard work.
WHAT WE DO:
- We provide Orthotists with a digital fabrication service for custom-made ankle-foot orthoses (AFOs) including integration and training.
- We decorate and personalise our AFOs based on preferences the kids we work with want
- We research and develop products (hardware and software) which are co-designed with the industry and end-users
- We mechanically test 3D printing materials and geometries for custom-made orthoses.
- We experiment with alternative ways of working and organising ourselves. I guess you can say we're a bit unusual like that.
WHY DO WE DO IT:
The World Health Organisation estimates 100 million people globally need orthoses. Currently, only 1 in 10 get them. Without access to orthotic services, people are confined to their homes – excluded from participating in society, and locked into poverty and isolation, placing a greater burden on their families, communities and economies (WHO, 2015).
Today orthoses are typically fabricated manually, which can be invasive, laborious, hazardous and limited. Additionally, we live in a country that only has approx 35% of orthotists required to meet the current demand (AOPA, 2012)!
That is why we exist to help clinicians help more people in new and innovative ways. We want to live in a world where no-one misses out on the equipment they need.
A BIT ABOUT THE ROLE:
- Your main goal is to work with our senior developer and the product team to develop AbilityMade’s digital products to the next level. The main products are:
- Instantaneous 3D Scanner (Windows/Java/C++)
- Online Ordering Platform (Angular Front-end, Hosted on AWS)
- Manufacturing Automation (Angular Front-end, AWS)
- Bonus - Blender/Meshmixer/CAD Modelling Automation in Python
- You will be working with a very experienced senior developer and an experienced product manager to help guide you
- You will be involved in developing new or upgraded versions of the 3D Scanner and Online Platform, plus help find ways to automate our manufacturing and production so that we can scale
LET'S TALK ABOUT YOU:
- This is a junior role, so ideally you would have had at least 1-2 years experience.
- However we are a social enterprise and care about the kids we help, a LOT. We place a big emphasis on commitment and values alignment, so if you don’t have enough experience (or have way more), but believe you have what it takes, we want to hear from you.
- Solid experience with Object Oriented programing
- Have an understanding what clean code is, SOLID principles, and have a passion for delivering high-quality software
- You know your way around networking, TCP/IP, Subnets, and HTTP GET doesn’t sound Greek to you
- Familiar with GIT for source control
- Comfortable with test driven development
- CAD modelling experience very favourable
- You are creative, inventive and pumped about working with a team of engineers and designers
- You’re comfortable to work in a distributed team, we live on Slack, Zoom, Google Suite, Trello etc
- You have an interest in or are keen to learn about the med-tech industry and the positive impacts it delivers to kids with a disability. You get a real kick out of seeing a child fall in love with the product you'll help deliver.
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH US:
- Every minute you're working with us, you're making a difference. The more we grow, the more significant an impact we'll have. We think that's a pretty great perk, but we don't stop there.
- If you have a great idea, we'll do everything we can to make it happen. This is the kind of role that will be hard to find anywhere else: you'll work with incredible and passionate people to grow a fast-paced startup at a crucial point in its trajectory.
- If you like audiobooks, you're in luck. Our team has access to our Audible account so you can geek-out until your heart's content!
- We're determined to make this the best job you'll ever have!
- Ideally July or August 2020
- If your availability is near or around this time, that’s ok! We still want to hear from you
- AbilityMade HQ is located at 406 Botany Road, Beaconsfield, NSW
- We often work from home, usually 2-3 days per week from the office
But if you got all the way to the bottom of this ad and had something else in mind, then we still want to hear from you. We can’t guarantee anything, but we’re always up for a conversation!
A position description is attached.