- Hours: 8-14 hours/week
- Duration: 6-12 month contract (with possible extension)
- Location: Anywhere in NSW (working from home office)
About the position
We are looking for an enthusiastic person with experience in communications and sustainability education and the ability to work independently under the guidance of a voluntary Executive Committee. The Project Officer will report to the President and Vice President of AAEE NSW or nominated member of the Executive Committee.
The AAEE NSW Project Officer would be required to:
- Oversee AAEE NSW communications including:
- Maintain and update website including liaising with website designer
- Manage Facebook page
- Source information, collate, edit and distribute the quarterly AAEE NSW Newsletter
- Source, edit and promote items for the Conversations Blog
- Implement communications tasks from the AAEE NSW Climate Emergency response Plan
- Support AAEE NSW operations including:
- Manage AAEE NSW database of members and contacts
- Coordinate annual NSW Environmental Education Awards
- Account management and reporting using Xero accounting software
- Support or contribute to other association activities as required, such as:
- Professional development initiatives
- Conferences and events
- Development of case studies and other resources
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders such as Environment and Zoo Education Centres, NGO’s, Government, tertiary institutions etc
- Support and develop Regional Sustainability Education Networks
- Work from home in a self-directed, flexible and effective manner as a self-employed contractor
- Attend bi-monthly evening online meetings of the Executive Committee, and occasional weekday or weekend events
- Experience managing communications and developing content
- Experience in sustainability education and engagement
- Awareness of the climate emergency and a desire to be part of the solutions
- Experience working independently
- A proven track record in managing projects/tasks on time, on budget and meeting agreed milestones
- Ability to attend scheduled online evening meetings and occasional weekday or weekend events
- Membership of AAEE
- Experience in accounting, preferably with Xero accounting software
- Current or previous involvement in a Regional Sustainability Educators Network or similar group
- Experience in providing support to a board/committee
- Experience in providing support and/or mentoring services to a diverse group of stakeholders
About AAEE NSW
AAEE NSW is a State Chapter of the Australian Association of Environmental Education (AAEE), the national peak professional association for environmental educators in Australia.
We support education for sustainability in NSW, in keeping with the three major roles of AAEE:
- promoting the most extensive and effective use of education and engagement to help people live more sustainably and protect and enhance the local environment.
- supporting its members and others in the sector via professional development, and
- building greater strength in local networks that facilitate collaboration and skill sharing.
Our members represent schools, tertiary education institutions, local councils, state government agencies, non-government organisations and private companies. Our strength rests on our ability to work in conjunction with the many different sectors involved in sustainability education.
We work in the interests of quality education and environmental change. For more than 30 years, we have been integrally involved in the development of Learning for Sustainability Plans as well as NSW school curriculum policy and support. We represent environmental educators across the state in discussions and debates and provide submissions and recommendations on sustainability issues and directions for a sustainable future.
We run a broad range of programs and projects including Sustainable Schools NSW, NSW Environmental Education Conference, annual NSW Environmental Education Awards, professional development programs, mentoring programs and development of tools and resources.
In October 2019 AAEE NSW declared a climate emergency. In response, all AAEE NSW business, activities and decision-making will now address the climate emergency.
Please visit www.aaeensw.org.au for more information about the Association's activities.
Contact AAEE NSW President Sue Martin for more information on 0432 716 577.