The role will be responsible for communications - digital, written, traditional media and more - related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander justice issues; promoting and raising awareness of the work of NATSILS and ATSILS and barriers of access to justice.
The Communications Advisor position will:
- Create, coordinate and execute, a communications strategy in line with NATSILS’ strategic plan
- Oversee and manage the direction and coordination of digital and media engagement activities
- Plan, edit, collect and create written, visual, digital and video content for a variety of communications channels (including Twitter & Facebook)
- Prepare media alerts, releases and op eds, preparing media lines for radio and television and proactively looking for new media opportunities, including responding to media queries and keeping on top of current affairs in the media
- Respond to developing crisis justice issues from NATSILS and deliver through communications channels (with short turn around)
- Develop and maintain relationships and contacts with media outlets and journalists, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander media
- Proactively build the communications reach of NATSILS and ATSILS, including looking for new opportunities, supporting capacity building and coordination across membership
- Build trust with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander online communities to raise awareness of their legal rights and NATSILS and ATSILS work
- Develop and communicate NATSILS’ vision for a reimagined justice system and solutions by engaging with community, audiences and NATSILS members
- Build and maintain our email database and website (some technical knowledge of databases such as NationBuilder and website building tools would be preferred)
- Explore opportunities for digital fundraising
- Provide strategic input into policy and advocacy direction so that communications are strategic, coordinated and impactful
- Manage and build NATSILS’ brand and execute all communications in line with our overall strategy and messaging
- Develop strategies and messaging to move key supporter audiences on critical issues, keeping up to date with the latest messaging and communications research to help improve our work
- Monitor and report on NATSILS’ communications activities with a focus on continuous improvement and innovation
- Work collaboratively with other NATSILS roles to strengthen communications and digital skills and capacity
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Knowledge: knowledge and understanding of the social, legal and justice issues including systemic racism, faced by members of the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities across Australia.
Digital skills: high level of proficiency in emerging and traditional digital, media and engagement communications practices and technology (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, video, Instagram, website, engagement databases).
Values: an alignment to the values and vision of NATSILS through a demonstrated appreciation of and sensitivity to the challenges our community members have faced and continue to face in their right for justice and equity.
Cultural capability: understanding of the histories, cultures, languages, traditions of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander peoples; ability to work effectively and respectfully with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, organisations, communities; and ongoing commitment to developing own cultural competence in a two-way process.
Relationships: proven expertise building relationships, driving partnerships and networking between varied stakeholders, especially in media and communications, and with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
Initiative: shows independence, initiative and ability for self-direction.
Qualifications and experience:
- Minimum of 3 years relevant professional experience.
- Experience working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people would be highly advantageous.
- Previous experience within the not-for-profit, government or health sector is desirable.