- General Practitioner
- Althea Wellness Centre, Directions Health Services
- Casual position (days negotiable)
The Althea Wellness Centre provides clinical care and support to clients with current or past substance use issues and their families/significant others. Most services are provided from the Althea clinic located in Woden, with some additional outreach provided to vulnerable population groups in the ACT. General Practitioners work closely with Althea team members and other program staff as part of an integrated Directions Health Services response. The service is primarily designed to meet the needs of people who do not have a regular doctor or whose current health needs are not able to be met in mainstream health services.
- General medical services, similar to services provided in mainstream general practice, for clients impacted by past or current substance use and their families
- Management and care coordination of longer term medical conditions within the context of substance use or dependence, including specialist referral and participation in case conferences as required
- Assessment of pharmacotherapy needs, and prescription of opiate replacement therapies
- Provision of education and information regarding healthy lifestyle choices that will improve health and wellbeing
- Advocacy with other health and community services to ensure accessible care relevant to the person’s health conditions and social circumstances
- MBBS, or equivalent, current registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Authority (AHPRA)
- Fellow of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, or equivalent
- Past experience working in a general practice setting, particularly with vulnerable populations
- Recognised opiate replacement prescriber, or willingness to obtain
- Demonstrated skills and experience in management of chronic and acute medical conditions, in particular those associated with alcohol, tobacco and other drug issues, and minor procedures as is generally associated with general practice medicine
- Understanding of Primary Health Care principles and impact of the social determinants of health on vulnerable people
- Ability to work within an outreach environment
- Ability and a commitment to effectively engage with staff, and with clients from a marginalised background, in a non-judgemental courteous and respectful manner
All appointments are conditional upon a satisfactory AFP Police Check, Working with Vulnerable People registration and Australian citizenship or suitable rights to work in Australia.
For further information, please contact Ali Loom Ali.email@example.com or Carolyn Andreae firstname.lastname@example.org phone 02 6132 4800.