- Flexibility in working hours to suit work-life balance needs
- Ability to work locally within a good team
- Competitive salary and conditions, including travel mileage and salary packaging
Summary of Program and its objectives:
Brotherhood Home Care sits within the Retirement and Ageing division of the Brotherhood of St Laurence, under the Brotherhood Home Care area. The purpose of Brotherhood Community Care is to support people with complex physical and/or psychological needs to live in the community by providing support services.
Brotherhood Home Care PCA staff provide the daily support to people in receipt of community care services, living in their own homes. The Aged Care Division also provides residential aged facilities as well as independent living accommodation for people on low incomes.
Main Responsibilities of the role:
The Personal Care Attendant assists with consumer re-ablement and provides professional person centred care and appropriate assistance to maximise their independence and autonomy. The PCA will work from a ‘do with’ not a ‘do for’ position applying the Capabilities Approach to empower consumers to flourish through living a life they have reason to value.
The incumbent will follow My Plans to enhance consumer’s capabilities and opportunities to:
- Be and do what they value
- Exercise their rights and responsibilities
- Recipients’ Rights and Responsibilities - Home Care
- Play an active role in decision-making, Maintain family, social and community networks and relationships.
To meet the selection criteria, candidate will require:
- Minimum of Certificate III in one of the following areas, individual Support, Aged Care, Home & Community care, or Disability
- (Certificates and Statements of results showing units studied will be required at interview)
- Demonstrated knowledge of safe food handling, hygiene, cleaning and cooking techniques
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and with sensitivity with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Understanding of ageing process, older people, people with disabilities and/or dementia
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Ability to accept direction and work without constant supervision whilst continuing to be part of a team
- Well-developed time management skills, including an ability to adapt to changing circumstances and organise work according to directed tasks
- Current Victorian Drivers Licence and reliable roadworthy motor vehicle with valid registration and insurance
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding issues of frail aged people and people with dementia
- Understanding of and empathy with the values and ideals of the Brotherhood of St Laurence.
- Demonstrated experience working with older people, people with disabilities and/or dementia
- Hold a valid food handling certificate or willingness to obtain one within the first few months of employment
- First aid certificate and current CPR
- Ability to speak a language other than English is highly desirable, specifically Greek, Italian, Mandarin, Serbian, Polish, Croatian, Macedonian and Vietnamese language
- Certificate IV in Community Care/Disability.
This is a casual position and hours will be on an as required basis, based in Sunshine.
Salary will be in the range of $26.23 - $26.94 per hour plus casual loading, based on skills and experience, plus superannuation. Attractive salary packaging provisions are available to increase take home pay.
To view a full position description please click here.
For further information about the role phone Tumema Fuimaono on 03 8781 4213.