About YWCA Australia
YWCA Australia is a feminist not-for-profit organisation focused on improving gender equality for women, young women and girls. Together we challenge the systems, structures and policies that act as barriers to women, especially young women, achieving their full potential.
YWCA National Housing and YWCA Housing (National Housing) are both subsidiaries of YWCA Australia, the national association of YWCA’s in Australia which is part of the world YWCA movement.
About this Opportunity
The Finance, Audit & Risk Committee is comprised of directors and external committee members. External members provide knowledge and expertise specific to the role and responsibilities of that Committee.
In line with our constitution, we are specifically seeking Young Women (aged 30 or under at the time of appointment) for this position.
The Committee’s responsibilities include:
- Ensuring appropriate policies, procedures and financial management practices are in place and regularly reviewed, including the application of accounting policies
- Reviewing management accounts including P&L, BS and Cash Flow of the group and provide feedback
- Reviewing and recommending for adoption, all published financial statements of YWCA Australia and its subsidiary entities prior to submission to the relevant board
- Reviewing any recommendations from the internal and external Auditors (Auditors) relating to the conduct of any audit and the actions proposed by management to address any issues raised in audit reports.
- Reviewing the policies and procedures covering the management of risk and compliance and the extent to which they protect the assets of YWCA group.
- Assessing adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls over YWCA business processes (including financial reporting and information technology strategies).
- Advising on Risk Management Issues, as required by the boards
Time Commitment & Term
The initial term of the appointment will be for two (2) years and annual reviews of performance will take place.
A commitment to participating in the following activities is required:
- Four (4) scheduled meetings per year of at least 2 hours in length (Virtual)
- Additional time may be sought for out of session meetings or for a project working group
- Attendance at the AGM (possibly interstate).
- Tertiary and professional financial qualifications in Finance and/or Accounting
- Employment experience in finance or accounting within professional services firm
- Familiarity with the process for auditing companies
- Regulatory literacy
- Risk management literacy
- Governance knowledge
- Alignment with the values and vision of YWCA Australia
- Commercial astuteness
- Effective communicator.
This opportunity will require the applicant to satisfactorily complete a national criminal history record check.
This is a volunteer position. All reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
A full position description is available below.