- Salary: $51,292- $62,000 per annum Pro rata depending on qualifications and experience. The Venny Inc is a charitable organisation and offers Salary Packaging Benefits through Community Business Bureau. cbb.com.au
- Employment Type: PT Fixed term contract until 30 June 2020
- Time Fraction: By negotiation Up to 16 hours per week.
- Work Location: The Venny, 85 Kensington Rd, Kensington.
The Venny was established in 1981 and is a free communal backyard and adventure playground designed for children and young people aged 5 to 16 years. It is situated in JJ Holland Park, adjacent to the Kensington housing estate. The Venny is a unique community cultural space that supports intercultural play, therapeutic support and social cohesion. The Venny caters to the particular needs of children and young people who are experiencing social disadvantage and trauma in complex family environments. Mental illness, unemployment, drug and alcohol addiction, family violence, disability, ethnicity, cultural difference, refugee experiences and socioeconomic disadvantage are commonly experienced in these families. The Venny helps to build bridges of trust, increase life opportunities, build socio emotional capacity for children and young people and break the cycle of intergenerational disadvantage. The Venny’s mission is to engage vulnerable children and young people in prevention and early intervention play based education and support programs within a therapeutic environment made up of trees, plants, vegetables, food, water, fire, sand, earth and animals. Our vision is a community where all children and young people have the capacity, support and networks to participate fully in life and make positive and healthy choices.
The Youth Development Specialist (Boys and Young Men) will provide therapeutic support and mentoring to young men who attend the Boys Group on a Friday night and engage with children and families who engage with the Venny. The role will include one-to one support and facilitated workshops to build the young men’s interpersonal, socio-emotional skills and community connections. The role will also include stakeholder management, partnership development, report writing and program development.
- Acting General Manager
- Supervises: Playworkers
- Internal Relationships: Program Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Children and young people
- Parents and community members
- Primary and Secondary Schools
- Other youth and community organisations
- Police and other support services
- Funding bodies
- Program design and management
- Deliver on the goals of the program and meet contractual obligations
- Contribute to the ongoing development and improvement of the program working collaboratively with young people and The Venny team.
- Individual and group therapeutic support
- Working within The Venny’s therapeutic support framework, design and deliver one-to-one and group skills building activities based on the needs of the young people
- Support young people to develop their own project ideas and realise them
- Work closely with Playworkers to develop a positive group culture and program
- Partnership/ Stakeholder Relationship management
- Working with partner organisations to recruit young people to the program and support their ongoing engagement
- Ongoing reporting to The Venny management, Board and funding bodies
- Proactive and constructive engagement of young people
- Design and implement activities, programs, and opportunities for play, skill development and mentoring that meet young peoples’ needs
- Identify community needs and adapt program where necessary
- Attend regular Venny staff meetings, and professional development as required
- Read and add to the communication diary pertaining to issues with local children and families
- Writing project plans, collaborate on grant applications and acquittal reports
- Managing program budget
Please see attached document for full job description and key selection criteria.