Who Portable is and why you want to work here
Here at Portable we care about the world. We seek out areas of social need and policy failure and use our expertise in research, design and technology to make a positive impact. Our clients are as passionate as we are, and are working in government agencies and nonprofit organisations on projects that are improving the world. Our job is to help them define, design and deliver new products, services and ways of working.
You could be one if
You have a solid technical background across the whole web stack and are comfortable working with React and PHP (Python and Golang are an added bonus). You’ll also know your way around Docker and AWS. You’re comfortable learning new technologies and working in a variety of languages.
You like collaborating with your team. You enjoy hearing new ideas and perspectives to bring projects to life, as well as mentoring junior developers to improve their skills. You enjoy working in multidisciplinary teams, and also with clients. While you will obviously enjoy getting stuck into writing code, you’re also keen to be involved in design workshops, ideation sessions and discussions with the client. And you’re able to collaboratively build solutions with others; you’ll speak up, offering suggestions and feedback (and seeking feedback too).
If you were here last week, you would have:
- Spending some time writing code - implementing new APIs for a justice project and adding new elements to the UI components for a public sector project
- Reviewing code from other developers, talked through architectural decisions and planning new features for the justice project
- Participating in multiple project standups, checking in on where others are at, reporting on your own progress and heard about what’s coming up next
- Deploying the public sector project - and sticking around to make sure the deployment was successful
- Participating in a design & ideation workshop with Luke, our Design Strategist and Law Researcher for the legal project
- Scoping new work with Chey, our Business Development Strategist, helping think through what the project would take to implement, and how much we should bid for it
- Spinning up a new CMS, figuring out how it works and how we’re going to build on it
- Participating in the weekly developer meetings, presenting something cool you have been working on so others can learn from it
- Worked with the team to do some sprint planning, writing up some tickets in Jira and thinking about how you could break up the tasks to give some learning opportunities to the junior devs. And planned to have some of your time to be available to mentor them while they pair.
- Watching the lunchtime jogging team run out the door from the comfort of your ergonomic chair. You could join in, if you like?
Qualities of an ideal candidate:
- Comfortable coding in React and PHP or Node
- Enjoy working with a range of disciplines
- Experience working in an agency environment
- Interest in mentoring junior developers to increase their knowledge
The salary range for this role is between $100,000 - $120,000, depending on your level of experience. We are committed to building a diverse and equal team - people from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.