The Fire Brigade Employees’ Union (FBEU) is seeking applicants for the role of Industrial Officer.
The FBEU represents professional firefighters in NSW. We are a high-density union with a proud, militant history and culture and a highly democratic structure. FBEU Members work in diverse jobs and face a variety of industrial challenges.
We are lead by a State Committee of Management and we employ a small team to support members and the work of the union.Members are Award based employees and are covered by three NSW State Awards. We face significant workplace health and safety risks and we often require expert advice around Workers’ Compensation.
Our work (pay and conditions) are impacted by regulations, legislation and NSW government policy. The Union operates in line with its rules and our work is driven by the decision making of members.
Members expect and deserve excellent industrial services and our Industrial Officers are crucial in delivering that.
FBEU Industrial Officers provide advice, support and representation to members individually and collectively. Industrial Officers also support our elected leaders and other staff to protect and improve the working lives of firefighters in NSW. They are integral members of our staff and provide industrial research and policy advice, write reports and papers to assist us in our work.
- Provide support, advice and representation for individuals and groups of members with management.
- Prepare and execute industrial matters with and on behalf of members in the NSW Industrial Relations Commission and other tribunals.
- Provide industrial support and advice to elected leaders and other staff.
- Provide research and policy advice.
- Provide strategic industrial advice in line with the goals, objectives and campaigns of the union.
- Negotiate Awards and any other relevant legislation, regulation, government or employer policy.
- Support members making Workers’ Compensation Claims and tackling Workplace Health and Safety issues in their workplaces.
- Provide support to and participate in union campaigns and organising activities.
- Actively engage with members and other stakeholders.
- Represent the union at peak bodies and other bodies when required.
- Provide articles and information for materials and publications.
- Other activities as reasonably requested by the leadership.
Selection Criteria – Essential
- Commitment to the union movement and our values.
- Experience in a similar role including representing members with employers and in industrial relations commissions and other tribunals.
- Negotiation experience both for individuals and collectives of workers.
- Demonstrated ability to run matters from start to finish.
- Understanding of organising and campaigning and willingness to participate in organising and campaign activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Research and policy development experience and skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and with union members and to apply organising and union building principles to all you do.
- Drivers’ Licence and willingness to occasionally travel within NSW.
Selection Criteria – Desirable
- Legal or Industrial Relations qualifications.
- Experience in the NSW Industrial Relations System.
Pay and conditions:
Pay is commensurate with qualifications, skills and experience. There are generous terms and conditions including fortnightly RDOs.
Part-time will also be considered. Our office is based in Surry Hills.
For general enquires about the FBEU please contact Alison on (02) 9218 3444.