- Melbourne location
- Job Specification Part-time 22.5hrs/wk,
- 5 Year Fixed Term Contract
- Minimum Education Level Required Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum Experience Level Required 5x years post-graduate experience
- Work Schedule regular hours each week by negotiation, some out of hours work to attend meetings may be required.
- Hiring Range Salary package $92,000 pro rata inclusive of super and generous salary packaging (an additional $16k of tax free allowance).
- Relocation Offered: No
Emerge Australia is a non-profit patient organisation and is working in partnership with a consortium of national and international researchers to establish Australia’s first ME/CFS Biobank and Registry. The successful candidate will serve as coordinator for the Biobank and Registry and will be based within Emerge Australia. The primary goal of the Biobank and Registry is to create a resource for researchers to help to elucidate the biomedical underpinnings of the condition Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS).
The biobank coordinator will work with partnering organisations and the biobank director to design and plan biospecimen collection and storage protocols. This includes generating consent forms, ensuring that appropriate consents are in place, coordinating collection and storage, quality controls, organisation, and distribution. They will also be responsible for organising and attending meetings with partner organisations and researchers.
This position requires the applicant to gain a detailed knowledge of policies and regulations for biobanking and data management – and to apply this knowledge in situations that can be complex. Updates to rules and regulations must be constantly maintained, and new practices must be formulated to address unique situations. Principle duties may vary over time to accommodate project demands, and align with skill levels of other staff assigned to the project.
- Creates and generates reports on biobank operations and activity: provides auditable trail of documentation, keeps track of inventory, tracks data and samples, and maintains donor data base.
- Assists in the review and establishment of research protocols, which may include reporting results to internal and external collaborators.
- Initiates and assists with the preparation of manuscripts, presentations, abstracts, and reports for funding sources and publication.
- Works with biobank director to ensure that enrolment and collection targets are met.
- Ensure on-going data integrity for the project by overseeing data collection, data management, quality control and reporting of results.
- Responsible for setting agenda, transcribing, and distributing minutes of meetings.
- Assisting with the recruitment of patients (via telehealth nurse), data entry and management.
- Creating educational material for patients, overseeing research newsletter, development of web content and online project communication as needed.
- Directly responding to enquiries regarding study protocol and policy. This includes managing enquiries from patients, investigators, physicians, and other clinical and research staff.
- Serving as liaison to internal and external populations.
- Maintenance of all relevant policies and relevant regulations.
- Assisting collaborating researchers to develop study-appropriate protocols and obtain relevant local consent if appropriate in order to access material.
- Attending meetings and scientific conferences when appropriate (subject to funding availability).
- Ability to coordinate with a number of health care providers across multiple settings.
- Must be able to identify modifications needed and work to implement solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with patients from varied backgrounds, clinicians, researchers and other team members.
- Must have careful attention to detail and good organisational skills.
- Ability to problem solve and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Must possess integrity to maintain confidentiality and respect for subjects rights and individual needs.
- Must demonstrate accuracy in recording data.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
BSc in bioscience or related field required, MSc / PhD preferred. 5yrs of post graduate research experience required. Experience of tissue banking highly desirable.