The Cities Power Partnership is Australia’s largest local government climate network, run by the Climate Council. We’re a fast growing team made up of expert Councillors, staff, volunteers and supporters. Together, we are doing everything we can to celebrate and accelerate Australian local government’s clean energy successes.
This position is a rare opportunity to direct the Climate Council’s Cities Power Partnership, the largest climate and energy program for local governments in Australia. Leading a brilliant team of up to 7 staff across our Sydney and Melbourne offices, you’ll be working with 100+ local governments and their communities from around Australia to support them to accelerate their emissions reductions and ramp up their clean energy successes. We’re looking for an experienced people manager, who is passionate about addressing climate change, knows how to set and execute campaign strategy, is masterful at stakeholder engagement and thrives under pressure. You’ll be the face of the partnership, so you’re comfortable in the media spotlight, working with donors, presenting on the program at national and international forums and briefing key stakeholders and decision-makers. This role reports to the CEO and you’ll be part of the Climate Council’s senior management team, so you’ll need a strategic brain and be experienced in working across teams within an organisation to get the job done.
Essential Things About You
- You’re excellent at seeing the big strategic picture and then executing the plan to achieve it. You know how to build a strategy and then how to break it down into smaller campaigns and projects that you and your team implement together. In this role you’ll be overseeing the Cities Power Partnership strategy and ensuring that each smaller campaign that sits underneath it achieves those strategic goals.
- You love people management. You’re experienced when it comes to managing a team and you know how to bring people along with you. You know how to support, motivate and grow a team, as well as having fun along the way. In this job you’ll be required to manage a team of up to seven staff across the Climate Council’s Sydney and Melbourne offices. The Director is part of the Climate Council’s senior management team and you’ll also be responsible for contributing to the strategic direction and general management of the organisation too.
- You’re great at stakeholder engagement. You know how to build and maintain strong relationships with a range of key stakeholders across government, industry, academia and the Not-For-Profit sector. You’re also experienced in participating in working groups, roundtables and forums, as well as engaging at a decision-maker level with relevant government departments, parliamentarians, industry and diplomats. Strong stakeholders skills are essential in this role as you’ll be required to maintain relationships with over 100 local governments, as well as key individuals and groups across a range of sectors.
- You know how to write and undertake policy research. You’ve got demonstrated experience in conducting research and producing briefs, submissions or short reports. In this role you’ll be required to author and/or oversee the production of Cities Power Partnership reports, submissions, articles and fact sheets.
- You’ve used media as a campaign tactic before. In past campaigns you’ve run, you’ve utilised reactive and proactive media, with an emphasis on purpose and impact. In this role you’ll be overseeing two talented media advisors, and media plays an important role in the Cities Power Partnership program. You’ll also be required to be the face of the program and do a range of media interviews, public events and presentation work, so experience in this is a bonus.
- You can plan long term, but you’re also great under pressure. Running this national program requires the ability to set long-term strategies and campaign priorities, but you’re also able to think on your feet and coordinate a rapid reactive responses to emerging challenges.
- You’re passionate about tackling climate change. You care about driving down Australia’s greenhouse gas pollution and ramping up renewables. You’ve got experience working in climate change or the social justice sector.
- You’ve got donor experience. You know your away around a grant application, you’ve managed donor relationships before and you’ve got a brain for fundraising. In this role you’ll be managing and reporting on a range of a different grants and donations, as well as helping to bring in additional funding for the Cities Power Partnership.
- Local climate and energy knowledge. It’s a bonus if you’ve got experience working on climate change and energy policy in Australia. If you don’t, you can demonstrate that you’re great at getting across new policy areas rapidly.
Rewards and Benefits
This role is an opportunity to have complete autonomy over our national cities program, to set the vision, lead the strategy, guide your team and to take the Cities Power Partnership to the next level, enhancing its growth and strategic impact. The Climate Council is an influential not-for-profit organisation and this exciting role will provide the perfect candidate access to some of the best and brightest minds working in climate science, communications and advocacy, while also providing you with the opportunity to play a key role in shaping Australia’s local response to climate change. This is your chance to shape the future for the better.
Additional benefits include:
- Excellent learning and development opportunities both internally and externally
- Programs for time off in lieu and flexible working arrangements.
- Brilliant work culture which is results focused but also vibrant, supportive, fun and nimble.
This is a full time position. The position can be located in our city central Sydney or Melbourne offices. The Cities Power Partnership is a national program with members in every state and territory around the country, as a result the role will involve domestic travel around Australia.