Yazda Global Organisation was established in 2014, and aims to prevent future genocides against the Yazidi community and other minorities and to assist them in recovery from the 2014 genocide.
Yazda Australia became a Registered Charity in 2017, with a mission to advocate and support Yazidi people arriving to Australia as refugees, and to provide network connections for international funding opportunities for Yazidis who continue to live as internally displaced persons in their home country.
On the 26th February 2018 the organisation saw some success when the House of Representatives agreed to a motion recognising the ISIS-perpetrated genocide of the Yazidi community in northern Iraq; and now in 2019 the organisation has the opportunity to redefine goals and strategy. As such the organisation is looking for new Board Members to help the organisation navigate the change and push the organisation forward. Yazidi people are encouraged to apply.
Duties and responsibilities of Board of Directors:
- To act with reasonable care and diligence
- To act in the best interest of the Charity and for proper Charitable purposes
- Not to improperly use information or your position
- To manage financial affairs responsibly
- To disclose and manage conflicts of interest
- Not to allow the Charity to operate while insolvent
Source: ACNC 2018 ‘Governance for good’
- Knowledge of the Yazidi culture, the history of genocide and interest in responding – both internationally and locally
- Specific experience and/or knowledge in at least one area: international development, refugee settlement services in Australia, human resources, planning, fund raising, finance, community relations, or Board development
- A willingness to expand knowledge of board responsibilities through orientation and ongoing education
- Ability to represent the Yazidi community, investigating needs/solutions, building networks, and developing proposals
- Supporting the organisational goals, strategy and actions; with both knowledge and time
- Ten to twelve hours per month distributed among:
- Board meeting - preparation and attendance
- Action items – leading actionable items to completion when assigned
- Special requests
- Representation at meetings, events and media relations
Specific Board gaps include: Treasurer, Board Member.