Women’s Legal Service Inc. (WLS) is a leading not for profit community legal centre providing legal and social support services to women, specialising in the areas of family law, domestic violence, child protection, sexual assault and consumer protection / financial counselling.
The Consumer Protection Solicitor will help establish and lead our new Consumer Protection Unit. This Unit will work closely with our Domestic Violence Units (DVU) in Caboolture, Brisbane and the Gold Coast to provide victims of Domestic and Sexual Violence with Consumer Protection and Financial Counselling advice and support.
This role will be located in Brisbane but travel between our Caboolture, Brisbane and Gold Coast offices will be required. This role is being offered as a full time, 12 month contract.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Helping to establish the Consumer Protection Unit and developing associated programs, internal processes, policies and procedures.
- Supervising two Financial Counsellors including providing regular feedback and mentoring.
- Assisting vulnerable women who have experienced domestic violence and/or financial abuse with Consumer Protection Law issues including banking and finance, insurance, superannuation and other financial issues.
- Providing specialist advice and representation for clients including preparing matters and personally appearing for clients in consumer protection matters in various jurisdictions including alternative dispute resolution, and on occasion in the State and Federal Courts.
- Providing expert and authoritative contributions to support WLS’s policy, law reform responses.
- Ensuring that the provision of legal services complies with the laws and regulations governing the legal professional and the mandatory requirements under the National Association of Community Legal Centres Risk Management guide, and advising the Principal Solicitor on issues relating to operational and/or legal risk.
- Fostering a collaborative team culture for staff and volunteers which is professional, productive, supportive and consistent with the WLS values and feminist principles.
Applicants are required to possess a Queensland Driver’s Licence, eligibility to hold an Unrestricted Solicitors Practising Certificate and will ideally have 5 years legal experience with consumer protection / banking and finance / superannuation / insurance related matters.
Remuneration and benefits
In addition to having a meaningful and rewarding career, you will also receive:
- An attractive remuneration package commensurate with your experience ($97,000 – $101,000 + superannuation).
- Generous paid annual leave entitlements.
- Eligibility to salary sacrifice expense payments for mortgage, rent and credit cards etc.