About The Wayside Chapel
The Wayside Chapel has provided unconditional love, care and support for people on and around the streets of Sydney since 1964. Today, under the banner of ‘Love over Hate’, Wayside runs two community services centres, an Aboriginal Program, a mental health program and outreach service, two community cafés and two op shops. Our mission is creating community with no ‘us and them,’ breaking down the barriers of judgement and providing a safe place where people from all walks of life are welcome. All our programs are designed to ensure that the most marginalised members of our community have access to essential health, welfare, social and recreational services, as well as a judgment-free place where people are welcome to just ‘be’.
One of the many gifts of Wayside is that we have more than 600 active volunteers, who cover over 250 shifts each and every week. Without the commitment of our incredible volunteers, we simply could not open the doors each day.
About The Volunteer Coordinator Role
This critical role exists to ensure that the experience of Wayside volunteers, from first engagement at induction through to offboarding, is both richly rewarding for the individual and also services the needs of the organisation.
You will work at both our Bondi and Kings Cross locations and collaborate with our other volunteer coordinator, as well as the rest of the People and Culture team. From recruitment and orientation, ongoing learning and development, social celebrations and continual engagement and support, you will be the face of Wayside for our volunteer community.
- Support all staff to appreciate the awesome value Wayside volunteers bring to realising Wayside’s mission, and the practical delivery of Wayside’s programs, enterprises and support team functions
- Demonstrate Wayside’s leadership capabilities in all aspects of work life
- Facilitate the onboarding of new volunteers
- Create and implement a communications approach for our volunteers, including individual support, supervision, newsletters and social events
- Collaborate with the people team to create and deliver an annual schedule of learning and development opportunities for volunteers
- Conduct interviews for student placements at Bondi
- Continually look for ways to improve volunteer’s experience and resources
- Ensure the privacy, currency and accuracy of all data captured in the volunteer portal
- Maintain work-life balance by practising appropriate self-care on an individual, team and organisational-wide basis
- Walk alongside Wayside staff with sensitivity to the barriers some face to open employment
- Comply with legislation and all Wayside WHS policies/procedures and instructions, reporting any hazards or safety issues and performing all tasks in a manner which guards against risk to self and others within the workplace
A full position description is included in the job information pack here:
- Demonstrated understanding of the unique opportunities and challenges around working with a volunteer workforce
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to manage a high volume admin workload
- Strong team player and a commitment to collaborative working practices
- Willingness to work within the ethos of The Wayside Chapel’s mission, vision and values
- Experience working with and around vulnerable people in a social services setting
- Not For Profit volunteering experience