About Wanta Aboriginal Corporation
Wanta Aboriginal Corporation works with schools in eight remote Northern Territory communities to encourage indigenous children to attend school on a daily basis. Through a variety of measures we provide support for learning and on-going development so that the opportunity for education is maximised and lifetime poverty and disadvantage can be overcome.
About the role
Wanta Aboriginal Corporation is seeking an experienced Manager to oversee the Sports Academy currently operating in the Lajamanu School. This is a full time role based in Lajamanu in Central Australia. Lajamanu is situated approximately 560km south west of Katherine, the School is a preschool to senior level school with 200 students on the roll.
The Lajamanu Sports Academy, key responsibilities include:
- Work with upper primary and senior level students to encourage strong school attendance through the provision of sport and recreational activities.
- Open the Academy room based at the school each day, including before school, recess, lunch time and after school.
- Organise and facilitate weekly sporting events and training.
- Organise and facilitate reward trips to other communities, Katherine and interstate.
- Facilitate opportunities for students to explore vocational education and training as well as practical experience within various organisations within community.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Qualifications at a tertiary level and/or previous experience in a similar role.
- A current teaching qualification is very desirable.
- Experience working with indigenous youths and/or working in remote communities in a sport related environment.
- Experience managing a small team.
- Demonstrated ability of program management, delivery, evaluation and reporting.
- Background in coaching/umpiring AFL and Basketball.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with stakeholders.
- Resilient outlook and ability to cope with stressful and sometimes confronting situations.
- A current NT driver’s licence, and a current bus licence or the ability to obtain this.
- A current OCHRE (working with children check), or the ability to obtain.
Salary package includes:
- Full housing and amenities provided.
- Salary based on previous experience and qualifications.
- 10 weeks annual leave per year.
- Bonuses including airfares and hotel accommodation.