- Based in Newcastle with some work in Maitland
- 6 months, full time
Wesley Mission is a high profile, multi-faceted Christian organisation making a real difference in the community. We work with the most disadvantaged in our community by providing over 200 services ranging from aged care, homeless services, child and family care, counselling, employment, training and education, and health services.
Our Vision is “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”
About the program:
Wesley Mission has a real mission – to reach out to a community with real needs. Through witness work, and with the help of supporters we can turn lives around for good. As part of Wesley’s Community and Family Care group, the Youth Drug and Alcohol Counsellor is funded by HNE Health to provide information / referral, education, specialist counselling and group work interventions to young people in Newcastle and the Hunter. This includes provision of crisis interventions, AOD early and brief intervention and harm minimisation activities for young people aged 12-24 years in the Newcastle and Lower Hunter regions. Our service is based out of Newcastle and includes:
- Responsive, informed, counselling and case work service for young people 12-25 years old
- Information, referral and brief assistance
- Therapeutic groups such as; Smart Recovery and other trauma informed groups in schools and centres
- Drug and Alcohol community education groups in schools
- Community events supported with Drug and Alcohol information including; harm minimisation, prevention strategies and referrals
- Partnerships with local providers and schools to enhance the awareness of Drug and Alcohol issues and treatments in the local community
About the role:
The Youth Drug and Alcohol Counsellor will provide service via one-on-one short to long term interventions, group and community events to young people 12-25 years who need information, assessment and treatment interventions for Alcohol and other Drugs.
Wesley Mission provides regular supervision and support for all staff as well as range of opportunities for professional development and staff benefits. This is a child-related position and preferred applicants will be required to undergo a working with children’s check and criminal record history check.
- a minimum Certificate IV level qualification in AOD Counselling
- demonstrate experience working and engaging with young people aged 12-24 years, using effective case management and counselling strategies
- registration or eligibility for membership with relevant profession/discipline body
- possess experience in group work facilitation with young people with a strong ability to present educational programs to large audiences
- have a valid NSW drivers’ licence and own car
- the ability to self-manage and practice high level organisations skills, time management skills and self-direction
- knowledge and experience of contemporary practice approaches in the alcohol and other drug sector with young people
- outline your experience of working with young people including; comprehensive assessment, intervention, evidenced based counselling models of care and your ability to apply case management principals
- a broad understanding of the AOD service system within Newcastle and Maitland NSW
- proven ability to work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds
- high level written and verbal communication skills, with experience developing case summaries and completing child protection reports and entering this information into electronic client management systems
- willingness to affirm Wesley Mission’s vision, mission and values
- current working with children’s check
- Qualifications and/or experience in working with young people who have emerging or early signs of mental ill health
Salary and employment conditions are in accordance with the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010, Level 4, with capacity for salary packaging. Superannuation is paid in addition at 9.5%.
Please find a copy of the Position Description attached below.