Best Practice PVC is a recognised, third-party verified, product accreditation scheme launched in 2010 based on sustainable manufacturing criteria developed by the Green Building Council of Australia. The Vinyl Council licenses a registered trade-mark to product manufacturers who achieve compliance under the scheme.
Over 50 companies from around the world have achieved compliance, and uptake is continuing to grow. Working out of our St Kilda office, this temporary, part-time role provides an opportunity to shape the future of this scheme and its uptake in the global industry.
Your tasks will include:
- Conducting desktop research and mapping of existing criteria against other relevant benchmarks/ecolabels/ISO standards and frameworks
- Managing and consulting with the industry working group
- Managing stakeholder consultation processes to identify life cycle “hot spots” and obtain feedback on scheme acceptability from members, industry bodies and NGOs
- Updating the scheme – preparing the written scheme rules and agreed criteria
- Reviewing and recommending improvements to governance arrangements, including scheme rules and procedures
- Reviewing and recommending improvements to the verification process conducted by independent auditors
This will suit you if you’re:
- After a part-time hands-on role in a small not-for-profit focused on reducing the environmental footprint of products
- A keen learner with demonstrated understanding of sustainability in the built environment
- Able to work autonomously, meet deadlines and think critically and strategically
- Need flexible working arrangements over the next few months
- Knowledge of ecolabels / Green Star / building rating tools / product certification schemes
- Sound understanding of Life Cycle Thinking and/or Responsible Sourcing standards
- Ability to grasp and communicate technical and scientific information clearly
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written, presentation and oral communication skills
- Ability to take initiative, be critical and question current practices
- Good team player
- Good negotiation skills
Preferred qualification: Degree in (or studying) Environmental Science or Environmental Engineering
This position is temporary, part-time (2-3 days a week neg.) based at the Vinyl Council’s office in St Kilda, Victoria. Applicants must hold Australian Permanent Residency or citizenship.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience + 9.5% super.