Unions NSW is the peak council of trade unions in NSW representing over 600,000 members and 60 affiliated unions and trades and labor councils and is part of the broader trade union movement.
Unions NSW is looking for a Full Time Legal / Industrial Officer to join our Industrial and Research Team.
The Legal / Industrial Officer will primarily work as part of the industrial team and individually to provide high quality, professional and timely advice to assist in the achievement of sound industrial outcomes for members.
The industrial team also works on projects in conjunction with the campaigns team and participates in broader organisational actions.
Legal / Industrial Officer responsibilities at Unions NSW include:
- Industry and legal research;
- Drafting policy submissions and law reform;
- All aspects of industrial and legal case work;
- Coordinating multi-union state award bargaining and federal enterprise agreement negotiations;
- As required assist affiliates in their industrial and legal casework;
- Managing a broad range of matters including:
- assisting affiliates in disputes before various courts and tribunals including the NSW Industrial Relations Commission, the Fair Work Commission and Step 3 mediations
- drafting submissions for NSW and Federal Parliamentary inquiries;
- preparing and delivering training and seminars to affiliates on their industrial rights and obligations; and
- Provide advice and training on industrial and legal rights.
- Review and assist Unions NSW in internal legal and industrial matters including:
- Specific review of service contracts
- Training and compliance assistance to Union leadership on legal issues
- Communicate and collaborate professionally with internal and external peers, stakeholders and clients to promote Unions NSW
- Bachelor of Law
- 0 -3 years post admission experience
Skills and Competencies
- Capacity to prioritise work, exercise judgement, initiative, while providing high level support within a highly charged environment.
- Ability to manage conflicting demands in an environment subject to sudden change.
- Willingness and ability to adapt to varied demands, including out of hours work, sometimes at short notice.
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills and including public speaking.
- High level organisational skills.
- High level problem solving, decision making skills.
- Proactive and self-directed while also working as a positive team member
- A clear understanding and commitment to trade union principles
- Well-developed information technology skills with proven competence in the application of Microsoft Office suite
- Bilingual / multilingual
- Experience in advocacy and case management
Conditions and Entitlements
- Personal Leave: 10 days per annum (accumulative)
- Annual Leave: 5 weeks annual leave with 17.5% leave loading
- Long Service Leave: 2 months after 10 years’ service
- Superannuation: 9.5% employer contributions 11.5% for female staff.
- Parental Leave: 52 weeks leave including 22 weeks paid parental leave or 3 weeks paid parental leave non-primary carer
Salary will be subject to the qualification and experience of the success candidate.