We’re looking for an exceptional Service Design Lead with a passion for making the world a better place.
If you are driven to deliver on some of the greatest challenges of our time - building social impact, developing greater community resilience and developing responses for climate adaptation, then this may be the right gig for you. Collaborating deeply with some incredibly talented, go-getting, interesting, curious, lovely and passionate people – all with a fundamental shared sense of purpose.
We are looking for someone who thrives on complex problem solving, creativity and artful storytelling, building empathy, immersive research and experimental practice. A panache for developing teams and contributing to a great working culture in which we all support each other to grow together.
Who is Today?
We’re a strategic design business, bringing together the best human-centred design and technology minds to tackle complex global and local problems. We’re founded on purpose, working across health, education, giving and public service to create greater benefit for people, communities and the planet. Day-to-day, we tackle issues such as domestic violence, gender equity, homelessness and climate change. We believe in the power of design to make change happen, at pace, and at scale.
We’re optimistic about the power of design and technology to develop and embed solutions to the interconnected challenges facing our planet right now. We’d like to work with similarly optimistic folk who are equally tenacious and deeply empathetic, with robust design thinking at the core of their design practice.
What is the Service Design Lead role?
The Service Design Lead will build valuable services from a deep understanding of human-centred design to make change through creating meaningful experiences and enabling systems and processes to do so. An end to end service designer who is comfortable at multiple levels - building strategic frameworks, sketching out wireframes for user experience, developing stakeholder buy-in or co-designing with users.
You will imagine and execute programs of design-led research to meaningfully include system actors in the design process, and work with them to understand needs, behaviours and mindsets; generate bold ideas and iterate concepts together. You like to wrangle complexity to find the signal amongst the noise. You encourage and develop collaboration in cross–disciplinary teams to unleash fresh thinking, activate big ideas and help stretch and build the capability of the team as you go.
Requirements - Personal qualities we are looking for:
At Today we are as much about people as about the work we do, and are passionate about, and committed to continuing to nurture and develop this purpose-led community.
We are looking for someone who identifies with the following:
- Passionate and inspired however anchors this within a pragmatic capability to be effective and get the job done
- Purpose work can be difficult, so we are looking for someone who is resilient and open to what is possible, can redefine what ‘possible’ means and can see projects through with clear focus
- Enjoys challenging people’s ideas and assumptions to drive collaboration and better design outcome
- Deeply empathetic and cares fundamentally about starting with the user and giving voice to those who aren’t heard
- Highly emotionally intelligent in the way you understand people and build out outcomes and nurture the team you are working with
- Comfortable in ambiguity and can find a way through fuzzy, complicated, organisational challenges
- Leads from behind and brings people along with you, supporting growth in the team, sharing your experience and giving feedback as you go
- Have an interest and understand the potential to humanise and scale services and looking at large system change and what is needed
- Have a positive and constructive attitude of 'how might we?' rather than 'it won't work because...'
Experience and skills we are looking for:
- Diverse experience confidently solving a range of complex problems using creativity, design thinking, innovation and general ability to ‘think on your feet’
- Demonstrated capability to work collaboratively in cross–disciplinary teams (alongside designers and non-designers) to crack design challenges and co-develop solutions
- Working closely with Ux, interaction and experience designers to develop digital outputs at the front end of the design process; so comfortable talking and sketching IA, wireframes, process mapping and decision trees
- Capability and experience developing different tools, methods and outputs such as research techniques, co-design artefacts and deliverables such as customer journeys, blueprints and personas
- Perform excellent research, distil insights thoughtfully and develop and integrate actions that are deeply rooted in the user understanding
- Extensive experience designing and facilitating exciting participatory workshops and other engagement activities.
- Experienced leading large or small projects autonomously and simultaneously
- Leading and developing teams to maximise outputs and to nurture the growth of other team members whilst on projects
- Conceive and articulate winning design approaches to new business opportunities
- Built strong client relationships, understands what it means to be a trusted advisor and can nurture opportunities with organisations as you move through a project
- Voice in the design, purpose, climate and social impact community and interested in developing this further
- Work on work with purpose. We work on big, complex challenges around people, communities and planet
- A creative, open workplace culture that asks for everyone’s input and is constantly evolving welcoming new ideas and ways of working and actively empowered to help shape the business, the work we do and the impact we create
- Salary range: $110,000 - $130,000 (including superannuation) dependent on skills and experience
- Truly flexible workplace to make space for and value the other important parts of your life including generous parental leave policy and your birthday day off
- Our studio is set up to welcome clients in and develop close partnerships which means we don’t send designers out to work client-side full time
- Bring your whole self to work. We love working with people who bring their personality, their experience, and their uniqueness to the team
- Respect, of you and your commitment to being here
- An inclusive working environment that is warm community inspired by purpose that lives its values