The Solicitor reports to the Managing Solicitor, and will:
- Provide general legal advice to women at free legal advice clinics.
- Provide an outreach legal advice and casework service to women within the Darwin Region.
- With the assistance of other TEWLS staff, identity the legal issues relevant to women within the Darwin region and develop law reform projects in these areas.
- Provide TEWLS with feedback on a regular basis concerning the legal needs of women within the Darwin region.
- With the assistance of other TEWLS staff, identify the legal issues relevant to women within the Darwin region and develop and present appropriate community legal education seminars and materials in these areas.
- Liaise and meet regularly with key stakeholders who work with women within the Darwin region.
- Represent TEWLS at meetings as required.
- Undertake personal administrative duties within TEWLS as required.
- Participate in staff meetings and other TEWLS planning activities.
- Other duties as direct by the Managing Solicitor
The position requires an organised and self-motivated individual to form part of our dynamic team. Please address the selection criteria in your application:
- Hold or eligible to hold a Practising Certificate in the Northern Territory, with two years PAE and experience in civil or family law.
- An understanding of the issues facing women in the NT, particularly Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) women and women in prison.
- A commitment to promoting the interests of women,
- A demonstrated ability to provide high quality legal information advice, casework services and court experience in family and or civil law.
- High level verbal and written communications.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with confidential and sensitive issues with discretion and integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to perform and interact as an efficient and productive team member and use initiative with minimum supervision.
- Holder of a current drivers licence.
- Experience in using computers, especially Apple Macs and a willingness to perform administrative duties.
- Relevant experience in the development and delivery of community legal education.
- Relevant experience in law reform and lobbying.
A full position description is available below.